Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Trac-Vac Clogging.................

LesH
I have a Trac Vac tow behind leaf vac with the original 5 HP Briggs engine and am getting clogs right at the deck discharge area. what I have done so far is-- cleaned/ scraped/ painted the deck underside--- sharpened the 3 blades--- made sure no bolts stuck down in the deck--- used the factory Trac Vac steel snout--- cleaned/ scraped/ painted the inside of the snout--- used the shortest vac hose I could, no kinks--- no nests in the hoses--- checked impeller, all blades are straight--- run Trac Vac engine at high throttle--- go slow moving forward with tractor at high throttle---- picked up sticks in yard before starting--- leaves are oak and dry. Anything I missed??? Maybe I need the high-lift blades???

Simpleton7016
Most guys invest in gator blades and they do make a difference. 19 times out of 20, mine cloggs right by the chute where you are having your problems. The 5HP may be a little underpowered to keep the debris moving IMO, but others will be able to opine more intelligently on this aspect. If you are attempting to vac leaves that are even a little moist, I dare say there is nothing you can do. I changed carts this year and have learned the importance of venting/air flow. Make sure the vents on you cart are not clogged. Most of my clogs come when the cart is half-full or more b/c by then, the vents are pretty clogged. I clean them at every dump. I am relatively clog free when I am doing general leaf clean up. As in, sucking up the leaves where they land naturally....but when I attack a pile that I raked from under a bush or other "man-made" pile, I tend to clog. Maybe try to take smaller "bites". I have also found that if I get a full-deck full of leaves, it will clog. I try to keep only half of my deck running over virgin leaf cover. You seem to have most trouble shooting covered. Venting, gator blades and less leaves are the only three recommendations I really have. I bigger engine is the only other thing I can think of.

HubbardRA
I run my 48 inch deck fairly low to the ground with my PECO vacuum. The only place I have trouble is at the elbow going into the bag. If your deck is too high off the ground you will be jamming a lot of un-chopped leaves into the discharge chute. My leaves are almost pulverized. Not many pieces larger than a quarter when I empty them.

bud119195
I used my trac vac this past weekend and found out that if I cut it low and slow I got better results. It was clogging up early in the morning but it might have been to wet and as the day warmed up and dried out I had no problems

Architectdave
If the grass or leaves are wet mine clogs every time. I have to wait until the afternoon to vacuum. Also is the discharge free and clear? the suction power has a direct relationship to the how easy it is for the air and debris to escape into the trailer or barrel. When I built my trailer the more screen area I added the better the entire unit works.

HubbardRA
One other thing that I learned very quickly. You should shut down the vacuum before reaching inside to remove the clog from the bag inlet. When I pulled the clog out, I suddenly got covered from head to toe in chopped up leaves. Since my clog is right at the inlet to the bag and not near the mower or vacuum, I figured it was safe to let it run. Yes, it was safe, but sure was dirty.:D