Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Grading without a grader blade?

I need to grade my driveway and I dont have nor can I find for a reasonable price a grader blade for my tractor. I was thinking about taking the shoes off the snow blade and putting it on float... Think that would work? Any other suggestions/ideas? THANKS!

Brettw
I have, in the past, taken a 1 x 6 board and placed it between the rollers on the mower deck and the deck itself, on my 7112. I had a picture on here once, but I am not sure where it is. I made the board about 5' long. It works very well on dirt, and my deck is in solid shape so there was no problem with it affecting the deck at all. As far as your driveway, I am not sure it would dig into gravel well, but it would grade off 1/4" -3/8" TB quite well. It certainly is an inexpensive "grader blade" and it might be worth a try for you.

GregF
I have both a grader blade and a snow blade and have used both for grading my driveway. As I am in GA, I don't even think of my snow blade as being for snow. I think of it as a dozer blade and use it for pushing dirt around. That said, I think you'll be fine to use the snow blade for grading your driveway. I used only a snow blade to grade mine before I got the grader blade. The snow blade works better than the grader blade for moving dirt and gravel while the grader blade is easier to smooth with. To smooth with the snow blade requires a little more practice to get proficient. By the way, I removed the shows from my snow blade too and I agree that you will get the best results to do the same. Greg

PeppyDan
quote:
Originally posted by GregF
I have both a grader blade and a snow blade and have used both for grading my driveway. As I am in GA, I don't even think of my snow blade as being for snow. I think of it as a dozer blade and use it for pushing dirt around. That said, I think you'll be fine to use the snow blade for grading your driveway. I used only a snow blade to grade mine before I got the grader blade. The snow blade works better than the grader blade for moving dirt and gravel while the grader blade is easier to smooth with. To smooth with the snow blade requires a little more practice to get proficient. By the way, I removed the shows from my snow blade too and I agree that you will get the best results to do the same. Greg
I found that by dragging the blade backwards it is much easier to "finish" the gravel. Dan