Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
adamf203

Engine Tune Up

adamf203
I'm having my 212 picked up to have the transmission fixed, and while it is out, I plan on having the mechanic look over the engine. God only knows when this tractor was last looked at it (by the things that I have had to correct, and the quality of the oil, I assume its been a long while). The tractor runs, but I figure might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone... Are there specific things I should have the guy look at relating to the engine? I'm new to this, so any help would be appreciated... I've replaced the fuel line, filter, air cleaner and filter, what else should be looked at? Valves, rings, etc? Thanks, ADAM

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by adamf203
Are there specific things I should have the guy look at relating to the engine? I'm new to this, so any help would be appreciated... I've replaced the fuel line, filter, air cleaner and filter, what else should be looked at? Valves, rings, etc?
You have pretty well summed it up. Taking off the blower housing for mouse nests might also be a suggestion. As far as internally, if you can get 90psi or better compression from a cold engine, it doest pay to look inside, you have a keeper.