Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can I hang a weight on this?

OrangeMetalGuy

This is part of the rear lift I guess... I have a concrete weight about 18" diameter and 3 inches wide with a hole in the middle (what from who knows, found it in the shed the other day). I was thinking of sliding a pipe nipple into the red bracket:

and then slide the weight onto it, followed by a big washer and nut to retain it. Will that work... I guess it'll counterbalance the snowplow? Any reason not to do this?

You probably alread thought of this but you might want to put a buffer of some sort between your weight and your paint job. Concrete isn't nice to a paint job. :D

Good points! Yeah I guess both ends would lift up at the same time, so it'd be more weight instead of making it easier. Maybe I need to find another way to hang the weight, not on the lift.

Erik, I don't have any more of the adapters made up now and really won't have the time to build any new ones for at least two or three weeks.

Lookie here: [url]http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=90443&SearchTerms=rockershaft%2Cadapter[/url] I need one of these!!

Anyone who wants one can PM me and I will give you a price or take your order. This post is not the place to conduct that type of business. Please note that this is only an answer to a question brought up in this topic. It is not a solicitation and I am not trying to actively sell these adapters. I am only willing to help out other members by fabricating one for them if they contact me.

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Good points! Yeah I guess both ends would lift up at the same time, so it'd be more weight instead of making it easier. Maybe I need to find another way to hang the weight, not on the lift.
Wasn't there a way to string the lift cable so that the rear weight assisted in lifting the front attachment? I thought I saw that on this forum once.

The other option is to find a cross lift shaft from a 7100-series and swap the whole shaft out. That is what I did on my 716-6 speed. Worked out great. As for how to do set-up the pully and cable system, so that it works as a counter balance for fron impements, look for operator/installtion manual for the 38" HD Tiller. [url]http://www.simplicitymfg.com/document/index.cfm?doc=TP_100_2977_02_AT_S_LO.pdf[/url]

Does anyone have any idea of the similarity between the 7000/7100 and the AC 300 series rockershaft....??? would this nifty gadget work on the 300 series shaft? Ive looked at the earlier thread and cant visualize it. Notably, the rear lift tube is raised by the lever with a rod not a cable... ????