Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Occaisonal Smoke cloud

Chris727

My 7016H with factory 16hp briggs has a bit of a smoking problem. What is odd is that it would only do it once in a while. The engine has around 80psi compression. It is somewhat lower on power than other 16hp Sov, though its only noticeable when running the 48" deck in thick grass. I had even gone so far as to disassemble and clean the breather assembly. It will run well without smoke from the exhaust though it will smoke some from the carb if the air filter is removed. This summer I had the tractor running for about 15 or 20 mintues, mowing grass, and out of nowhere it started puffing blue smoke, almost so much you couldn't see, then it would clear up and run as if it was fine. Then another 1/2 hour later it did the same thing? It it was rings, wouldn't is smoke constantly? Could this be valve guide related? Thank You. -Chris

Check cylinder fins for obstructions, chaf ect. Remove shield opposite the exhaust and intake ports and check. If the fins are plugged, you are probably due for a ring set. I had this happen to my 10 HP Landlord and I escaped with a ring set and valve grind. The bore was glazed and has a very slight vertical scratches. Honed the bore, ring end gap was in spec for standard bore, stuck in a chrome ring set, ran the tractor for ten years, sold it last year and to my knowledge, it's still going.

Thanks BLT, I probably should have mentioned that before using the tractor, I pulled the engine tinwork and cleaned all the debris. I don't recall it being all that dirty around the fins, I've seen far worse. I have not had the head off yet. Seems like around here when the head comes off, next thing you know the engine is in a million pieces never to be put back together:( It does consume a little oil but not very much. Might have to make this one of my extra winter projects.

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
Chris, Just leave it out by the road and I'll take away them troubles for you. Then you won't have to worry about it this winter.;)
Hey Kris, I'm sure my Mother would like that.