Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simpleton7016

Belt length conversion 5/8" to 1/2"

Simpleton7016
I have a pending question from a potential e-bay buyer that I hadn't thought of. I have a tiller drive on e-bay but with the wrong belt width (and advertised as such). I believe they are the correct length (if they were 5/8"), but since they are 1/2 inch, they won't be the same length as 5/8ths right (due to the way they will sit in the pulley? I have a gazillion belts here and I want to make sure the buyer gets the belts that will at least work to get them going. I can't use trial and error b/c I don'thave a machine to test Is there a conversion formula?

steve-wis
I know of no conversion chart or formula. If I understand you correctly, you are running a 5/8 wide belt where a 1/2 inch should be? If this is the case, it won't work very well. The belt needs to have full contact on the sides with the sides of the pulley groove or else slippage is going to be a problem. That being said, if you do try to use a 5/8 belt in place of a 1/2 inch one, it must be longer. Trial and error is the only way I know to easily fit it. You could lay each belt in a pulley and see how much higher the wider one sits. then figure the circumference around the outside of the belt for each size, divide them both by 2 if the belt goes half way around the pulley, then add the difference between the two numbers. This would only be approximate. you would have to do this for each pulley that the belt goes around. For idlers that only contact the belt for a small part of the pulley, a good guess is about all you can do. Steve