Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vickers hydro

sammiefish

In my experience, they are pretty much the same. Only differences I've seen are with the brake/"freewheel" interaction and relief valves(?). In the latest ones, the brake was effective with the freewheel latch in the "freewheel" position. On the older Vickers, the brake didn't work in the "freewheel" position. The "freewheel" lever was also different. Old:

New:

And the different valve(s?): Real Old (HB110):

Everything else:

I wouldn't think a 312H would be "new"; my Homelite T-12, made by Allis about the same time as the 312, has the older "freewheel" setup. The only Vickers equiped tractor I've seen with a functioning brake in the "freewheeling" postion is a 3416H. All the others are the older type. What does the 312 operating manual indicate? The older Vickers have warnings that the brake doesn't function in "freewheel". To "freewheel" the lever is pushed to the right and engaged is straight up. On the 3416H, the lever postions are opposite (straight up = "freewheel; to the right = engaged).