Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler KT17 problem

bigdog46

I am having a problem with the KT17 engine in my Simplicity 7117. It will idle ok but when I give it some throttle it starts "hunting" and will not stop. Just keeps changing engine rpms up and down by actuating the governor. I have tried several things - carb main jet adjustment, governor spring position, etc. to no avail. I also checked fuel flow from tank and from fuel pump and was ok. Can anyone help me to correct this problem? Thanks.

Does your carb. have an idle mixture adjustment? This is what you need to rich-en slightly to help with the "hunting'. As the butterfly passes from the idle jet to the main jet there is a slight transition point before the airflow starts pulling fuel from the main jet. This lean condition causes the engine rpm to drop when your calling for a slight increase in rpm's. This opens the butterfly up too much to the point the mixture jumps in and fuels the engine and the rpm's surge up and it slams the throttle closed. Then the process repeats itself. Increasing the idle mixture normally provides the extra needed fuel to overcome the lean condition and allows for smooth transition inside the carb. If your carb. doesn't have the idle adjustment you may need to add a small dampening spring to the govn. and add some fuel cleaner to help clean out the varnish buildup in the jets.