Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
johnmonkey

welch plug removal

johnmonkey
good day gentleman, how do you remove the welch plug on a B&S 16 hp carb? I need to flip the choke flap so that the choke cable can be on the outside of carb. Currently it is hard to reach because the choke cable is between the carb and the engine shroud. thanks, jh

Simpleton7016
Tow it up here and let me drive it for a day....it will just fall out like the rest of mine do. :O You could always self-induce a huge backfire and blast it out. Seriously though, I'm not sure how to do it without sacrificing it.

PhanDad
If I remember correctly, I tried to reverse the choke shaft to the opposite side on a Briggs 16HP carb with the welch plug already blown out. Couldn't do it, because the choke shaft has a flat or the way the choke plate mounts (or some other reason) that prevented the swap. I believe that's why there are two different part #s for the choke shaft: 691353 for the "outside" and 690617 for "inside". As to removing the welch plug (and I've never done it), I'd drill a hole in the center of the plug and insert a sheet metal screw into the hole (or bolt from the inside out) and pull the plug out. Probably need a new welch plug, but maybe you could JB Weld the hole shut. If you have success flipping the rod, please correct my post.

johnmonkey
I see, so I can't just flip the shaft? I was trying to avoid removing the choke cable. As it is I need to shorten the choke cable. Thanks guys. jh

D-17_Dave
Take a large screwdriver or small pry bar in through the top and apply a pop pressure to the inside of the plug. It WILL pop out. Some shafts you can flip over and some you can't It depends on how the crank arm is attached to the shaft. It's the shaft that gets turned over. The butterfly goes in the same way.

johnmonkey
Thanks Dave, I got 'er done. I ended up keeping it on the inside and after 5-6 times attaching and re-attaching I finally got it ngr2ngr2. I shortened the choke cable and it is fine. I need to post some pics because I finally got the 3410 re-powered with a 1974 16 hp B&S8D8D8D8D8D8D8D. She just re-entered the working fleet:D:D:D. Now to re-power the 1963 GMark squire with the old 10hp from the 3410 :(. jh

perry
5/16 wrench take out the bolt holding the cable and take out one carb bolt and turn the carb for easier access to the cable. or just pull the carb. MY question is where do you get replacement carb plugs and whats the best way to get them back in and keep'em there ?.

D-17_Dave
If you don't distort the shape of the plug you can reuse the old on. If needed they come in most any carb. kit. It's best on a new or used plug to seat it cleanly in the carb neck, tap it in the center with a ball peen hammer to spread the plug so it's tight, then peen 3 edges of the carb so it can't fall out.