Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 9020

Thanks for the reply. I knew that the original engine would have been a 19.5 Onan. I just didn't know what he replaced it with. I just got off the phone with him and have learned that he replaced it with a new 24HP Onan. He also came off the price a good bit so it looks like we have a deal. I'm excited about it but won't get it until the weekend of the 18th. Can't wait to try it out. Don Nelson

Hello all, I just joined the club a few minutes ago after spending some time this morning browsing around. Great site and my thanks to those who take the time. I am moving in about 4 days from Dallas, TX to Pittsfield, OH. My new house is on 5 acres and I will need a larger lawn tractor than what I've been using. I've run across what looks like a very nice Simplicity 9020. The ad says "new engine" and it's apparently not close to the original being as it's now a 24HP. I don't yet know the brand of the new engine, waiting for a call back. I like the looks of this tractor but am concerned about repairs. How difficult is it to find parts? I guess my main concerns are drive train parts, front end, etc. I realize that finding parts for the engine, assuming it's a Kohler, Briggs, etc. would be easy enough. The tractor comes with a 60" mowing deck, hydraulic front snow snow plow, and a single bottom rear plow. Asking price is $4700 which sounds a bit high but I'm just not sure. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in hearing of any others for sale close to Lorain County, Ohio. Thanks, Don Nelson

Don, Welcome to the club. If you’ve been browsing around, you probably already know the 9020 series is similar to 4040 (AC-616), 4041 (AC-620), and the AC-720. I don’t know anything about the PowerMax series, but I believe the original engine was an Onan. Those tractors have a loyal following. If you look in the SimpletrACtor “Gallery” and the club “Registry” you will learn the identity of other owners and what they paid for their tractors. Good Luck………

Don, Congratulations and good luck! I envy you your 9020 (9024?). You should have a good time and get a lot of good use out of it. Clayton

Don, It's great to share in your exitement. I have two 9020's and a 4041 (predecessor to 9020). You are going to love this tractor! It IS sometimes difficult to find parts and attachments for the 9020, but that's what this club is for. We have a lot of guys (gals) here with lots of ideas on how to improvise parts/attachments. Our sponsors are some of the most knowledgeable people in the country and they're ready to help in any way. I've seen several engine swaps in the "Powermax" tractors including the 24HP Onan. It's a good thing, I think, that yours has already been converted. That'll make parts for your engine easier to find. The hydrostatic is still in production by Sauer/Sunstrand although the input/output shafts are special. It would be to your advantage to contact Simplicity MFG. and obtain the parts and service manuals to get a real good understanding of how the tractor works and how to best maintain it. Once you've used the tractor for a while, I'm sure you'll want another one. Most of the people I know with one of these tractors have more than one an are usually looking for more. Powermax_Paul PS. I think $4700 is quite high even with a new engine. Try it out. Operate the hydrostatic lever at about mid throttle and with the hydro in 2nd range. The unit should really "jump" forward and reverse if the hydro is in good shape. The steering should also be really tight, for that price.

Don, Sounds like he put a lot of hard work into it. I can understand him not going lower. I'd have a hard time parting with any of mine for less than $3500-4000. And mine have the original engines. If you like it, buy it! (And you'll like it.) By the way, welcome to the club! I think you'll find surfing the discussion board a lot more entertaining than Fri. or Sat. nite TV! Paul

Paul, Thanks for the reply. I agree that 4700.00 is too high. The tractor is in very nice condition with the new 24 Onan, new belts, spindles, etc. on the mowing deck. New rear axle seals and etc. Everything works and it looks great too. I've managed to get him down to 4200.00 and he will deliver it, almost 250 miles one way...so....I still think it's a bit high but I think I can live with it. I won't even see it until next weekend but at that time, he will deliver it and I'll try it out. I don't have to pay until then and he says if I'm not 100% happy with it, then I'm not committed to the deal. We'll see. I would have like to have bought it for around 3500 but that's not going to happen. Thanks, Don