Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sometimes I really love craigslist

Nuzzy

Bought an Allis 912 a month or so back with a snow plow with the plan of using it for snow removal duties this winter. Since then I've been keeping an eye on craigslist and ebay just in case a blower popped up that I couldn't refuse. Well, today a deal popped up on craigslist I couldn't refuse 8D About 10 minutes from my house no less! The ad said "snow blower, works, fits some older Simplicities". The guy took it in trade and had no use for it. $50. I called him and said I'd take it sight unseen after work. Figure if nothing else, I could clean it up and resell down the road. I figured it wouldn't be a direct bolt up to my 912, but with access to the fabricating tools I'm lucky enough to have at work, I wasn't too worried. Close enough means I stand a sporting chance of making it function. So I got home with this 42" blower. [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/DSC09481Medium.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/DSC09494Medium.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/DSC09485Medium.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/DSC09489Medium.jpg[/IMG] It appears to be a model for front PTO hook up but the mounts and axle notches do line up to my 900, so I'm thinking maybe it was for the 7000/700 series tractors...? In any case, My current plan is to run the blade on the front and rework this blower to be run on the rear. After looking at it for a bit, It looks like I may be able to fab up some new idler pulley mounts and reroute the belt to get it running off the rear PTO. I'm certainly open to pics of how others have done this! Then my focus will turn to lifting... Tractor is currently manual lift right now, but it seems I have many options available. Please correct my if I'm wrong, but these are options I'm tossing around: 1) Independent manual lifts for front and rear 2) flip thingy on lifter bar (please excuse my ignorant terminology) so that rear goes up when front goes down and vice versa so implements counter balance each other during lift/lower I do have most of the hydro lift parts ready to go on that I had purchased from ebay from some guy parting out a 7116 or 916, so I have that whole project to work in as well :p

BTW, I can't find any model numbers on this blower anywhere. I'm well aware they could be long gone from previous paint jobs or something, but where would I look just in case I missed it?

That blower is for an FDT, the hitch on it was worth what you gave for the whole thing. I don't think anyone here runs these on the rear. You can get the correct hitch (about $106 new at Jacks) and run the blower off the mid PTO. You will also have to change the driven pulley on the main blower shaft, it is either too big or too small, I can't recall. I tried using the "Newer" style blower on my B-12 and found out it was turning too slow because of pulley differences.

Out of curiosity, why don't people try to run these on the rear? Don't get me wrong, I certainly can see the benefits of blowing over plowing. And also understand that many people might have a tractor for each. What got me considering trying to make it work was that I have a straight shot 150' driveway where snow can be pushed right across the road to clear, thus negating a pile up to be accounted for. I figure for those 4-6" snows, it'd be faster to just plow. However, it sure would be nice to be blowing the edges clean on the return in reverse trip back to the starting point before the next plowing pass. Plus it'd get cool points in my book for a total snow obliteration machine :D:D

Ineptitude is my excuse Nuzzy....but it would cetainly rid us of the need for wheel weights. On the other hand, I have, on numerous occasions, been laid out on the front hood when the scraper bar hit an immovable object. My dear machinist neighbor witnessed the tail end of one such event out his window and later told me "please Erik, I know you love your machine and all....but in the middle of the street?" :O ;) I would hate to have one rusty seat back be the only thing keeping me from going through my auger during another such event in reverse.

Well hmmmmmm... I keep reading how much everyone likes their blowers. Maybe I should just bag my whole crazy fantasy and stick the damn thing on the front :I
quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
That blower is for an FDT, the hitch on it was worth what you gave for the whole thing. I don't think anyone here runs these on the rear. You can get the correct hitch (about $106 new at Jacks) and run the blower off the mid PTO. You will also have to change the driven pulley on the main blower shaft, it is either too big or too small, I can't recall. I tried using the "Newer" style blower on my B-12 and found out it was turning too slow because of pulley differences.
So this "correct hitch" is all I'd need to make this blower fit and run off the mid PTO as well? Or is the hitch only part and then I need another part group for the PTO routing...

All in one machine sounds cool but to be looking over my back to blow snow is just out of the question too me. Nice looking blower though.

quote:
Originally posted by Nuzzy
2) flip thingy on lifter bar (please excuse my ignorant terminology) so that rear goes up when front goes down and vice versa so implements counter balance each other during lift/lower
This would have one implement on the ground at all times. I'm not sure that would be convenient. I'm with Marty, working a tractor in reverse is always hard on the neck and back. The solution though is "Simple" (pun intended) Just get another tractor:D

Put it on the front and enjoy it. But trust me...get a cab!!!:D:D:D I grow a beard in winter and without the cab I look like Santa!

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Put it on the front and enjoy it. But trust me...get a cab!!!:D:D:D I grow a beard in winter and without the cab I look like Santa!
LOL Yeah... I spent last year blowing the driveway with a 24" path Toro walk behind. Would take 45 minutes to do the driveway, turn around, and path to HughesNet dish without any sort of enclosure. My face usually went numb about half way through :D

quote:
My reason is simple(Told to the Mrs.).....Need one tractor to plow and another to throw
I guess I'm not the only one who uses that line.....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• ShaunE
    • SmilinSam
    • a_sannine
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts