Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

whats a Simplicity 700 worth?

peterinbrooklyn

Looking at a 59-61 700. its in pretty good shape with the blower and deck. The 7 horse comes with it but needs rebuilt and there is a 10 hp in it now that needs the driveshaft shortened to work correctly. I am wondering what its worth?

Rebuilding the 7 might be a tall task, many internal parts are NLA. In order to make the 10hp fit, the driveshaft won't need shortening it is adjustable and you can use one less set of spacers if need be, the problem with the 10 is the bolt pattern is different as the oil pan is wider, so is the fylwheel, you may have to notch out the frame behind the engine to make it fit, Not something I would do since I like original stuff, but I've seen lots of these tractors converted. What is the asking price?

Mike, I am the guy who just used a big hammer to produce a bulge in the part of the frame where there was interference. I couldn't get enough bulge to fully clear, so I put a small flat on the shroud of the engine. I have had a 10 Hp B/S, a 12 Hp Kohler from a Cub Cadet, and Simplicity type 14 Hp Kohler in this chassis over the past 20 years. All were used with the original driveshaft and fiberglass flex joints. When you replace the original rattle-type joints with the fiberglass joints it will shorten the driveshaft somewhat. The collar on the input shaft will slide forward and rearward if the set screws are loosened, and can take up quite a bit of the slack or excess. Mine does not have the factory spacer on the flywheel, it is made from two pieces of tubing. On another tractor I just used two stacks of washers. No problem with these homemade spacers in 20 years.

What Model Briggs was in the 700 series ? None of the parts are hard to find for most old Briggs motors. I have a feeling it was a Model 19 varaition. A rebuild should not be a big problem or even a good used motor. Gary

quote:
Originally posted by briggsetc
What Model Briggs was in the 700 series ? None of the parts are hard to find for most old Briggs motors. I have a feeling it was a Model 19 varaition. A rebuild should not be a big problem or even a good used motor. Gary
The 700 tractor used a Model 19. Cranks, rods, magnamatic ignitions, all very rare, NLA hard to get parts. About all you can still get is a gasket set, and carb parts. Around here a good used model 19 is like hen's teeth, the 19D's are also hard to find, these engines were prone to failure of the "plain" bearings. Briggs has also begun discontinuing many parts for the 12hp engines used in the B-12s. Now you can only get a STD piston or ring set.

I took a quick ck and chris727 is right, some of the parts are NLA. The crank suprized me and I was also suprized the troublesome 290880 coil is NLA. It was available a few months ago. Aftermarket is no problem. This stuff is available.. cover w/bushing 78 ..piston 57 ..rings ..valves ..gasket set 16. Rod is NLA but one showed up on ebay today. A 19D also showed up today on ebay. Gary

in that condition at auction here in iowa it would bring 50.00 to 150.00. 200.00 would be pushing it but if it had implements with it other then a deck it might be a deal. we all started some where...