Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kenmill1958

Allis 919H eng Conversion.

kenmill1958
I am installing a 16hp Briggs from a Snapper LT16 tractor in my Allis 919H. I have the complete wiring harness, engine, coupler and driveshafts. One part on the Briggs is damaged. It attaches the rubber coupler to the eng. It is the fan booster.It bolts to the flywheel and the coupler attaches to it. The casting where it mates to the coupler is broken away. Threaded internal area looks good not stripped. I think the coupler would still sit flush against the booster. There are pictures posted in this post altought they nare out of focus I think you can get the idea. Take a look and give me your thoughts.I may end up using it if one does not turn up. Or would someone have one from a Briggs??Any help much appreciated Thanks Ken

HubbardRA
If you are talking about the coupler that bolts to the flywheel and then the driveshaft bolts to it, that can be replaced. I use two pieces of tubing cut to length or just two stacks of washers. Just make sure the two spacers are the same height and that the washer on top is the correct one to interface with the fiberglass flexplate. If the thick rubber piece is damaged, it can be replaced with a fiberglass flexplate by making a longer adapter.

PhanDad
I think he's talking about the "fan-booster" (briggs reference #321 in the parts breakdown). It's the part that has the groove for wrapping a rope around it and giving a yank the old-fashioned way. Simplicity's "adapter plate" bolts up to it. It can be seen in this pic:

It mates up to the flywheel, so I wouldn't think a Kohler part would work. If the existing threads can't be salvaged, a helicoil insert should be OK. Or a new part is probably available, but I bet it's expensive.

kenmill1958
Josh, It is not the rubber piece you are refering to. Ihave that and it is fine. More than likely it might be the flywheel itself. If you look at the picture that was posted it would be dead center on the flywheel. The eng pictured is obviously a single cyl. Mine is a 16hp twin horiz shaft. I can get a picture but have not been able to post pics here for some reason. I'll be in the garage this morning and hopefully be able to get to it.

HubbardRA
Joshua, I have heard that the very first 7116 tractors did have the fiberglass flex disk at the engine. I have also seen posts where people have replaced the rubber isolater with the fiberglass disk. From what I can see, it looks like the 2 inch thick rubber isolater was used to replace the flex disk to make the driveshaft longer to match the longer chassis.

kenmill1958
I think Phandad hit it on the head. I would say it is the fan booster. The Kohler part will definitely not work. The threads are not stripped. The outer part of the casting was broken off. After looking more closely at it I may be able to salvage it. The driveshaft adapter will still sit flush against the booster housing. Maybe just use longer bolts. Cvans, Not time to pay dues yet. I only joined this spring. It maybe my image size. I may have time at work tonight to play with it.Go figure I ncan fix commercial airplanes but cant operate a computer to save my life Here are some pictures of the part that is damaged. They are out of focus on the closeups, but you can get the idea of the damaged area.
[img]/club2/attach/HubbardRA/bfan1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/HubbardRA/bfan2.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/HubbardRA/bfan3.jpg[/img]

Al
Hi. Any of the tractors that use the thick rubber donut have an extension on the end of the drive shaft that slides into the engine adapter. The donut only handles the rotational torque. and the drive shaft extension takes care of the rotational alignment. If the donut is used it must be on a shaft that has the extension. If a flex plate is used to replace the donut, the shaft nose must be cut off. Al Eden