Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Starter question.......

LesH

I have a Kohler KT17 and the starter when energized does not push the gear out to mesh with the flywheel. I took the starter off and gave it a good cleaning as grease and dirt was on it. The starter drive seemed to spin good, but still stuck. Question-- should I oil the insides of the strater drive or just take apart, clean , reasemble and install?? Some people say that the oil will just pick up dirt... I don't want to take it off again if I don't have to.. it was a little close in there trying to get to the bolts.

was the spring broken? remove shield use screwdriver to extend out the gear head and give the screw surfaces a good soaking with wd40 or other penetrant PB blaster Kroil.

Les I used penetrating oil and carb cleaner to clean the parts,then a dri-lube garage door opener to keep it slick and working. The dri-lube won't gather dirt and grit. Larry

• 1 month later...
I had to pass on this note that it's not always a mechanical or electrical problem. I had the same symptoms this week with my 17GTH-L. Starter would turn but the bendix would not engage. After checking out the battery and even jumping it with no improvement, I pulled the shroud fully expecting to have to jack the engine up and at least clean if not replace the starter. When I opened it up the space aroung the starter and flywheel was packed FULL of crud, mostly grass clippings and dust, and it was in there FIRM. I pulled it out, turned the key and she fired right up no problem. The crud had apparently bult up to the point that it kept the bendix from moving, or at leas moving enought to engage the flywheel. Just one more thing to check when you've got a starter problem.

I actually open the tin every other year. I push the gear to engage the flywheel and spray with carb cleaner... As soon as it dries I hit it with silicone tri-flow...works great...

Les, the Kohler starters do not like anything more than a very light oil on them. Any oil/grease and maybe even dry lube will prevent the bendix from sliding all the way into the flywheel. Battery voltage needs to be 12V+. Do not oil the elec. motor side, just clean the bendix with WD-40 or like Ambler suggested PB blaster. After it is fully clean, give it one more light spray and thats it.

I'll have to try these suggestions. The starter on my 712 does this sometimes. But when it acts up, tapping the starter drive fixes it. Maybe time for a starter?

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
I'll have to try these suggestions. The starter on my 712 does this sometimes. But when it acts up, tapping the starter drive fixes it. Maybe time for a starter?
Just clean it. I've had that happen and a little WD 40 took care of it.