Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K 321 Engine

Albina

I have a K 321 Engine that needs a new crankshaft. Found a used one on the interent that came off a Toro GM 3, at least that's what I was told. Also told it was in good condition. Will this fit on my AC 314D? Thanks Rick

I'm always leary of the "good condition" used internal engine parts seen on eBay. Has it been measured to see if its out of round and within range for standard specifications? In order to know if the crank is the same as you're original one, you will need to get the Kohler Spec#s off each engine, obtain the parts manuals for each and see if the part#s are the same or cross to the same new#.

What Chris recommends is the best way to be sure if it will work for you. Depending on the price an out of round crank can be a good deal since a quality machine shop can build it back up to OEM specs or regrind it -.010. Chances are if you need a new crank you probably need a new rod as well so either approach will work

Sorry, Maynard is right. My question is this? Are K-321 engines generic so that if I buy one that was used on another brand (Toro, John Deere, etc.), will it fit on an AC? Sorry, I gave too much info that was not clear. Rick

No, but since you have your old one you should have the parts you'd need... Its my understanding (I have not done this myself) that the oil pan mounting holes to the frame are different... so use your old oil pan. I also "heard a rumor" the Wheel Horse Kohlers should bolt right up.

You cannot use an engine from a Case, Ford, or Cub Cadet. They use a totally different block with an oil pan that will not interchange with the one from a Simplicity. You need to look at the oil pan and make sure it is the same as the one on your Simplicity.

Rod is right, John Deere also uses the different block, at least most of them do. From what I have seen some of the wheel horse engines will work, and the "stationary" kohler engines used on grain carts, etc. usually have the large 2qt oil pan like an Allis, though the drain and fill may be in different locations. One thing to watch for is that the engine is not an "A" type block. If the model number is K321S then it might be an adaptable or drop in engine, if it reads K321AS then it has the wrong block. Another thing to watch for is what kind of starter or alternator it has, if it has a starter generator you'll have to rewire your tractor, they also used numerous types of alternators and charging systems, in many cases though, you can swap your electrical parts to the new engine.

I have both and yes the block is different. On the simplicity oil pans, the mounting bolts go downward through flanges, on the "A" type engines, the oil pan bolts come up from the bottom through the oil pan. The two types of pans "will not" interchange the blocks are made differently. Even if you modify a pan to make it fit (and I think may be possible, because I was thinking of trying it at one time) you could have a problem with the "dipper" which splashes the oil over the internal parts. I have been told that there are either two or three different dippers that are made into the connecting rods, depending on which engine you have. If you have the wrong dipper, it will hit the pan and break off when the engine cranks over. This will starve the engine of oil and burn it up. Unless someone measures everything precisely and makes absolutely sure that everything will work, I would not recommend trying to put a Simplicity type oil pan on an "A" engine.

That engine bolts right in. The driveshaft mounting bolts are behind the plastic screen on the flywheel. That is where I found them on the 14 Hp that I put in my 61 Wards. It was from a piece of golf course equipment. I cut a small hole in the shield for the driveshaft to go through. The output shaft may be the problem. I can't tell from the picture if everything will unbolt and leave the shaft exposed to mount the electric clutch. Since I have never seen one like in the picture up close, I can't say if that one is convertible to what is needed or not.

One more question guys? I think I have found a K-341 that came off an AC 416H (my favorite). Will that fit in place of a K-321? Gracias mi amigos Rick