Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
skiierboy16

A/C B110 question!

skiierboy16
Hello all! New to the site. Got a question. I have a 69' B110 and i am having a problem. Last winter i was plowing my driveway and heard a "pop" sound. after that the tractor would not move. It will roll freely. I was told by a local shop that the axlwe tube had broken and needed to be replaced. is this common? easy fix? I am a pretty handy guy, just not familar with tractors. any help on how to fix and where to get parts will be greatly appreciated. i would hate to send this machine to the tractor grave yard. thank you very much!

Chris727
Replacing the axle tube will require splitting the transmission case. I think they are still available new through your local Simplicity dealer, will not be cheap, I think the axle tube is around $150. Another option is to find a good used transmission and swap them out.

HubbardRA
Please don't junk a B110. There many people who would like to have it, even with a broken drive tube. You need to check farther to make sure it is the tube. It could be broken pins in the right side hub or a sheared key on the left side drive gear, or even broken spider gears in the differential. All of these items are easier to fix than the tube, since you don't have to take the transaxle apart. Be sure the tube is really the broken part before you make any decisions. By-the-way, you can see a broken drive tube without taking anything apart. It is the tube that goes from the transmission to the differential behind the right rear wheel.

mendon-chalmers
Yes with hubbard, my tube broke at the snap ring groove inside the case. Put it in gear & watch from behind & if the tube is broke the tube will turn on one side of the case & not the other side.