Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sbull78

K301 rebuild help

sbull78
hey guys, just got my motor back for my 7012..had it resleeved, valves done and crankshaft turned...she's like new, now for the important part...i have found all the parts i need in a kit on ebay for considerably cheaper than if i buy the parts from the kohler dealer...however the parts they use on ebay is an oregon/stens brand...they have sold several hundred and no complaints, but after spending the money and time to have this done, i don't want to go backwards on the deal...what do u think of these kits and has anyone bought one of these???thanks again...

Chris727
I just bought a genuine piston for a 14hp Kohler, there were 2 styles and I bought the cheaper one, Retail was $168 but I had a "deal" through a friend at Napa, got it for $109 total. Kohler is very high on their parts. I have used prime line parts in a Briggs engine but haven't put more than 20hrs of light use on it so I can't really say how long it will hold up. I would also be interested to know if anyone has any of these aftermarket parts that are performing well after say 500hrs?

Chris727
The guy who does my machining says the Prime Line rings don't last very long, he still prefers Prime Line over Stens as he has had problems with connecting rod fit, I'm not sure if he's had any issues with the Stens pistons. I know of other rebuilders that use primarily aftermarket, though I'm not sure what kind of hours they are getting on them. I would like to be able to use all OEM parts but I can see that in the not too distant future their cost will be out of most peoples reach. I did buy a Primeline Piston for my K341, visually it looks better than kohler, it is thermal coated as well, the rings are different from kohler, it has the earlier type rings but on a Mahle style piston. I was going to get OEM rings and put them on the Prime Line piston but have never gotten around to finishing the engine. If anyone decides to go the aftermarket route, the best place for primeline is Tulsa Engine Warehouse. Very good service and prices that can't be beat. For Stens, Ebay is a good source, I have also bought stens parts from a place called Texas Mower Parts, I don't have the URL handy though, their prices were very good, I got Stens simplicity blades for $6 each.

xenon172
We have used the Stens product without any problems so far but it is always safer to go with OEM parts when possible. Any Kohler we rebuild now uses Kohler parts just for the piece of mind

erancher
I've used Stens on two engines without any problems to date but they were quick rebuilds to fix their PO's rebuild issues. With the proper care, these Kohler engines will last 20 some years, depending on use. Given that, what is the cost difference relative to sevice life. e-rancher

Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by erancher
I've used Stens on two engines without any problems to date but they were quick rebuilds to fix their PO's rebuild issues. With the proper care, these Kohler engines will last 20 some years, depending on use. Given that, what is the cost difference relative to sevice life. e-rancher
Good point, I think where the price of OEM Kohler parts really becomes an issue is not as much for the homeowner who has only one tractor, but for collectors who have say 10-20 tractors with Kohler engines, all of which need rebuilding, thats when the aftermarket parts start to look pretty attractive.

sbull78
true and i've got a few...the seller of the stens has great feedback on the rebuild kits he has sold so i will think on it for a little bit..thanks!!!

Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by sbull78
true and i've got a few...the seller of the stens has great feedback on the rebuild kits he has sold so i will think on it for a little bit..thanks!!!
Remember feedback is left just after you get stuff, not after you've had to use it for awhile.