Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigdog46

Briggs 16hp repower

bigdog46
I have a Simplicity 7014 that I want to repower with a cast iron 16hp Briggs engine that I am rebuilding. While I had the oil pan removed, I tried to put it into the engine compartment of the tractor but the oil fill / check tube interfered with the frame of the tractor. The engine is a 326434-0219-01 and was originally on a Toro mower, I believe. It had its own gas tank, starter button, etc. Is there any way that I can use it in my 7014 - maybe with a different oil pan? thanks. Here is a picture of the engine oil pan.
[img]/club2/uploaded/bigdog46/briggs.jpg[/img]

RayS
The oil pan that he has will work in a B series but is different from what is used in the 7000 and 7100 series tractors. The 7100 series used a dipstick tube through that hole I have circled in the picture. The 7000 series had a fill tube on that yellow embossed area in the picture below.

bigdog46
Thanks guys. My block does not have a plug in the top for an oil fill tube. I don't know if you can see it in the picture but the starter / generator is mounted very low with a bracket bolted to the oil pan on the side opposite the oil fill tube. If I rotated the pan 180 degrees, the oil fill tube would hit the S/G bracket. I do not have the pan from the 14 hp Briggs as I bought the tractor without an engine. Looks like I will have to sell it to someone who needs it for a FDT?

RayS
You could always use a starter gen. bracket from a B series. They mounted higher than the one that you have on yours. Wonder if you could use a shorter tube for a oil filler. I believe they are called a nipple they are about a inch long. Then use a 45 degree elbow and make your self a dipstick to check the oil. That may get you a little closer to the block and further away from the frame.

PhanDad
I re-powered my GTHL17 with a Briggs 16HP with the same oil pan as yours. I rotated the oil pan 180 deg and oil fill just cleared the frame. Here's some pics:

Maybe your frame is cut different (like Ray's?) and it won't fit, but it's worth a try. In the pics, you can see the high, Simplicity manufactured S/G mounting bracket. It's my guess you probably need one of them anyway to have the S/G clear the frame. There are two types of Simplicity made brackets. They take slightly different belts. I think I wrote something in a post about the 2 styles a while back. Also in the pics, you can see the oil fill plug high on the block that Ray mentioned. I've since added a dipstick to make checking the oil much easier.