Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old Gasoline---------------

LesH

I found out what was wrong with my tractor-- it had water in the gasoline-- drained/ cleaned carb and now she runs fine. had this happen on a few tractors. Well, now I have about 4 gallons of gaswater... What is the best way safely to dispose of it, being environmentally safe?? I cannot have any fires in my back yard....

At our local dump, we have a household hazardous waste collection area. I would bring it there. For very small amounts (less than a cup), I will toss it on my gravel driveway and stand way far away!! and toss a match on it. jh

If it's not a lot, I pour it into the tank of my 91 Dakota, and then fill it up with good stuff. 4 gallons might be a lot at one time. Try maybe a gallon, and then pour in some gas anti freeze.

Let it settle a day or so . Carefully pour off the top portion. Add a little dry gas to that . Let it settle and pour off again. Use the good gasoline you get. Dispose of the mostly left over water as you like. The driveway inferno sounds good to me.

I decant the wet gas with an old 1 gallon wine jug. Let's you see the water easily so you don't pour it off with the good gas. I put a half gallon or so in an almost full tank of gas in my truck. Haven't had any problems. The contaminated water I pour into a 2 ft square shallow pan and let it evaporate; not so good for the air quality, but better than dumping it on the ground.