Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1960 garden mark squire

robh

I am considering restoring above tractor but have some questions regarding benifit to cost.The tractor body is in very good condition and I beat the engine into submission last week end.It seems to run strong,and I drove the tractor around my field on falling apart tires.All the gears work ,and the rear axle seals are not spewing fluid,so I feel good about putting some time/money into it.I would like to know if the older B/S engines hold up burning unleaded gas,who makes good tires for field mowing,(6x12,4.80x8 preferably same pattern front and rear)and what kind of belt pulley system do I need to connect the 32" rotary deck to the tractor body?Another big question is where do I find the model # on the tractor and mower deck?I believe the deck is a#990207 based on the pictures on the site but I cant find a tag any where.I would also like to know if this unit has an engageable pto or is the mower blade turning whenever the deck is attached? This is a neat little tractor that appears to be very stout and I would like to see it getting some use again.As a final question is 7 hp enough for moderate mowing on a moderate grade? Other uses would be grading gravel drive,pulling lawn cart,and possibly purchasing rototiller attachment. Thank you for any help you can offer answering my questions. Great website,I've already killed several evenings browsing the site.

Rob, I'll try to answer few of these -- others please step in also: 1. This should be essentially the same tractor as a Simplicity 700/725 or Allis B-1, though I can't tell you exactly where to look for ID numbers. My B-1 has a decal behind the seat. They put stickon decals on the mower decks and they have usually come off -- I've yet to see one still on.... Look at the sections covering those models for more info on your tractor. 2. The best prices I've found on the WWW for turf tires is Cedar Rapids Tires -- they're on the Links page. I bought my new ag-type tires from Tucker Tire who sells them on eBay very inexpensively. They're 4-ply Chinese tires, but for my use will likely dry rot before they wear out or otherwise fail... You can see the 23 x 8.50 x 12 rears in the Johnny Bucket review in the Operations section. I don't know if he has 6.00's or not, but you can contact them by looking for Easy Steer Cub Cadet tires on eBay -- they usually have some listed.... If the hill is so steep to be such a concern, I sould seriously consider using ag-type for traction if I were you. They will damage your yard if they spin, but they will not spin nearly as easily as turf tires. 3. This old engine, being a flat-head, should hold up just fine on unleaded gas. In fact, it should have less carbon buildup (a common problem) than it would have in the old days. The lead in the gas would have served two purposes (a) boost the octane, and (b) lubricate the valve guides. Since the octane is boosted to acceptable levels using other additives, this isn't an issue. 4. To connect the deck, you use a center PTO underneath the tractor. This engageable center PTO is driven off the left side of the bevel gear box (cross-drive) using a belt. I think it is a 35" belt, old Simplicity part number 154307 (that's what a Model 725 calls for). If it is a 99207 mower deck, it is driven by a 48.1" belt, old part #108248, that connects to this center PTO. 5. This engine (running right, with good compression) should supply plenty of power for your hill and a 32" deck -- they offered 42" decks with the 7.25HP engines. With sufficient traction, I think you'll be amazed at this little tractor can do.... The sales literature shows the 7.25HP version pulling a hay wagon of over 7,000 lbs. It should handle every attachment you mention, but you will likely need to put a larger, 10" speed reduction pulley on the transmission if you plan on using a tiller very much -- it goes too fast in low gear to do a really good job tilling without one. I may not have answered all your questions, but this should give you a start. Others, please jump in and help, or correct any errors I've made...