Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What year & Whats it worth (PICS Added)

bud119195

I looked at a 725 tonight that is in real rough shape but all metal is there and straight.The question I have is what year is It' It has a 9 hp electric start briggs Optional Hi=Lo, rear lift and a 42 " deck. Like I said its rough and he wants $75 for it .What do you guys think its worth?

Like I said Its a little rough, but its all there. I got the origional bolt together deck thats in excellent shape other than paint, and front rims with roller bearings.And upon further review I see the 9hp is a little bigger than the 7hp so now I have to figure out what to do about that Do I trim hood just a little bit or find a 7? Either way I will be doing a full tear down and repaint on this one so hopefully I will remember to post pics of progress and have it ready for next tractor show

I agree with Bob. If your unsure tell me where it is and I'll be glad to take it off the market, you know, making your decision easier, lol. The 725's ran at the same times as the late B-1's and early/early B-10's, so its from the 1962 - 1963 era. Dan

For the hi/lo alone it's worth more than the $75 price, though the engine doesn't sound like it's an oringinal as the 725 came with a 7hp model 19, that aside I'd be all over it if were near me!

BUY IT ALREADY!!!!!Figure it out afterwards!!!:Di will be a nice guy and give u the 75 for the hi-lo...its the least i could do...lol..we need pics of it after u get it!!

I paid $150 for my 700 over 20 years ago, and it had a bad engine. Of course I would rather have the 14 Hp Kohler in it that I now have, than the original 7 Hp B/S. It is a workhorse and has always performed well.

O.k I understand I should get it. I will be picking it up on Friday and getting pics as soon as I can.Also after looking a little closer I might need a hood If anyone in Wisconsin Has one let me know Also, I noticed the drive shaft is missing parts between motor and drive shaft.Are these still available. The piece on motor is there but the pieces in between are missing

You should replace to old style joints with the newer fiberglass flexplates anyway. They are much smoother and quieter. You will need two flexplates and 16 of the rounded washers that mate with them.

Even if the hood is hacked some it is still worth 75 bucks. Send the hood to Roy, he'll make it brand new looking:) If it were me I think I'd raise/extend the lower grill bracket in order to raise the hood. That's just my off the cuff 1st idea, not sure it would do the trick.

Personally I liked the old 7 1/4 hp Briggs. It was very well matched to the tractor. That little motor would pull a 42" mower at a full trot all day and never look back. I certainly would not trim a single mm of that hood. JMO

todd, Nice find! IMHO find a 7 and return it to original. More hp is nice but I sure love the all original ones. I might have to take another drive down your way one day and check that one out! Steve

Got motor problem figured out. All I have to do is make a small cut in generator bracket and mov it down 3/4" and motor will be fine. After looking at hood previos owner cut out some of bottom of hood on right side .My son is going to take it to school and weld in a new piece'so we will see if school is doing him some good or if I will be looking for new hood,

i just posted a question -- my tractor looks just like yours does -- behind the seat(which mine is missing) is a tag but the only thing left on it is a stamped # it reads 9740 -- the engine is a model 9, so quess its a 9 horse like yours -- i too am trying to find out more info about my machine

At the kohler plant on mon morns they'd flip a coin to see if they were making engs or bidets,,lately its all bidets[boot washers my friend calls em]because you cant get a new cast iron eng anymore can you ?

I'd buy a tractor like that. If you find another cheap, complete machine, I'm in!!! Depending how you want the finished product to look, I would just get the thing running so you could simply use it, then look at it closer to see what you would need here and there to make it correct.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
I'd buy a tractor like that. If you find another cheap, complete machine I,m in
If your interested in another project I have some old Broadmoors and yeomans I'm looking to sell

quote:
Originally posted by sawdust95
i just posted a question -- my tractor looks just like yours does -- behind the seat(which mine is missing) is a tag but the only thing left on it is a stamped # it reads 9740 -- the engine is a model 9, so quess its a 9 horse like yours -- i too am trying to find out more info about my machine
I would guess the number on the data plate is the serial number. As far as the engine goes... I believe the model nine only turned out about 5.25hp at most. I believe the original engine was a 19 or 19B.