Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest Find

ZippoVarga

There have been many tractors through my doors since I've been on hiatus from the sight, but one stands out from the crowd, so I figured I would share it here and post a link to the video on YouTube. I have a little information on this tractor and it is as follows. It is a Simplicity made Wards Culti-Mower/Cutter Model # W-937W that began production before WWII and continued to be available through the war. At one point, Simplicity decided to market the tractor them selves under the "Model A" tag. I understand that it is a highly collectible and rare machine, which was something I learned after purchasing it. It was available with a Lauson engine and later in production, a Briggs & Stratton. Here is a picture of the machine and a link to the video on my YouTube page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4HZ_Ic734

Zippo That is probably the rarest of the simplicity line. I have an "Instructions and Repair Parts" manual no. 87-456S, with a typed date of 3-41 and a hand written date of 1945 in PDF form for the "Simplicity Culti-Cutter tractor". Included are repair parts list for the Culti-Cutter cultivator, Culti-Cutter sickle bar mower and Culti-Cutter lawn mower attachments.

That is a very unusual machine. Liked the video but would love to have seen it in the field so I could get a better idea of how it works.

Hiya Maynard. I got the PDF file with the parts break down and a couple advertising flyers for it. I was told it was rare by a couple people and now you. I'm not sure what my plans are for it. I would like to know what it's original Wards color would have been. I suppose I could remove the fender and see if the original color is still under there. At first I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but since it's so rare I believe I will restore it. Thanks for the info Maynard. I'll check my documents and see if I have everything you mentioned. Thanks again! Hi Adam. The 4 "shoes" are cultivators and someone modified a Choremaster harrow to fit on the back of the clutivator attachment. It's an interesting little tractor for sure.

I have one of those also.I am missing the fender and the the cultivator for it. the color on my machine looks like a red primer. I might be able to take a picture and send it to you , Bob near GreenBay wi.

Thanks for the video. I also checked out your 23D clip. I've rebuilt a 23D too (my first rebuild) but haven't yet fired it up and was interested in your test set-up. It looks like you have it on a portable stand. How do you feed the gas? It also looks like you just hot wire the starter to a battery. Could you post a few pictures of how you attach things for testing? Hopefully mine works as well as yours and can go back in the B-10 soon.

Erik, It was by pure happenstance that I wound up with it. I got a call asking if I wanted an old wards walk behind. That's all I knew. So I asked the price and for what was asked of it, I figured if it wasn't anything I was interested in I could definately get my $ back by re-selling it. Then when it rolled off the trailer I was like....Hmm.....I've seen this before in the Simplicity Model "A" version I think. But I was still a bit in the dark on exactly what it was. Once I found out my grin looked like alley cats grin. Thanks Bob.....If it's the same color that the early Wards 4 wheel was then I'm set as far as the color goes. I would still like to see your pictures. Send me a PM. Hiya Peter.....I can do a video on my test bench and how I transport the engines to and from. I have a really bad back and from the place I store the engines to the test stand is from one corner of my shop to the other. I also set the test stand up so that it's close to my electrical bench where I keep everything I would need. Saves steps walking all over the place looking for this and that. Typically I use a relay switch to start my engines, but I was being lazy with the 23D...lol. I'll get that video up within the next week. I have three others ahead of you on requests, but two are not youtube worthy..lol.

lol...Hiya Kenny! No......it's been a rough time of recuperating and surgeries. I'm on the rebound and hopefully I can stay off the operating table for a while. What's funny is, I have not been looking, they have been finding me with out raising a finger. I'm beginning to like this way of acquiring things...lol

Hey Sean, glad to see ya back. I was looking at your profile and I saw the dressed up LL. Question: where did you find the mini-baby moons for the front wheels? jh

Thanks for the well wishes Jim! John, those are actually made for 6/10 inch wheels on todays box store mowers. With the wider rims on the front, the 6 inch caps fit perfectly with out any modifications. The 10 inch caps you have to tweak a little. Typically they have 6 mounting tabs. I remove two of them then slide the other 4 to the 3, 6, 9 and 12 positions, then I bend the rim of the cap out on each relocated tab until the cap catches the 4 tabs on the wheels where the rim is welded to the bolt plate. I discovered this one day when I was going through all my hub caps and was looking at the 6/10 caps with a sour taste in my mouth. I paid about 40 bucks for them and had nothing they fit. So that's when the experimenting came into play, and as you can see, it gives that old rat-rod/roadster look. I love them and I now have them on three of my tractors. Thanks for the welcome back! I'm attaching a pic of both the stock back caps and the modified 10 inch so you can see how they both look.

First pic with the standard size hubcaps on.

Second with the 10 inch mounted inside the back wheels.