Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Anti-blowback Kit

Roy
Anyone know if a anti-blowback kit is available for a Mfg. No. 1691218 42" mowing deck??? Or, is there a newer anti-blowback kit that will fit the above deck with minor modification?? Would like to have a Mfg. No. for a kit even if it doesn't fit my deck. Could use a picture or parts blow up to fabricate one. Have seen them for newer decks but don't recall ever seeing one for the above deck. Kit I saw was basically two straight 90 degree angle pieces and a similar curved center section. Thanks,

GregB
Roy, My father-inlaw made his own. His is thin steel maybe .062 thick. Bent at a 90° angle one leg up the front wall of the deck, the other into the cavity of the deck about 1 1/2". He made me one, but the mounting holes were different from my deck to his so I never installed it. IF I can find it I could take a picture if that would help. I think the therory is to keep the leaves in the air up in the deck, and not let them drop down and escape the front. Greg

Roy
Greg, A picture would be great. Would love to see what your FIL made. Dave, "What does an anti blow back kit do?" Exactly what the name says. Prevents/lessens blow back out the front of the mower deck. Also increases blade suction/vacuum action. I found the Mfg. Numbers for the kits to fit the newer tractors. #1686690 is for the 44" decks. Downloaded Parts Manual and Installation instructions. Still like to know if the 44" kit could be shortened to fit my 42" deck. e.g. Is the front shape/profile of the new decks the same as older decks?? Thanks,

HubbardRA
I was thinking of just adding a rubber flap to the front of my mower. I came up with the idea yesterday while I was trying to vacuum the leaves from my front lawn. It is very aggrivating to watch all those leaves blow out the front of the mower into the area that you have already cleaned.

GregB
I have not found the one my FIL made yet, but Rod here are the cuts from the later model kit instructions. The angle goes into the deck cavity and slightly below the blade path. I guess it creates enough of a cavity to keep it all in suspension so the vac can pull it out.
[img]/club2/attach/GregB/bottomview.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/GregB/highview.jpg[/img]

Vassal
Ever since the beginning of this mowing season I have been thinking about adding a rubber flap like Rod mentioned. I run the deck at max cut height+ and thought it needed something up front to seal the deck better. But after seeing the pics here, I think the extend flange below the blade tips would really make the difference. Thanks for sharing this stuff.

Roy
Tried a rubber flap sometime ago. It did help some but most acted like a dozer blade in tall grass and leaves. Subsequently removed the rubber flap. What helped more than the rubber flap was changing from the OEM gull wing blades to flat blades. But, the flat blades have less vacuum action. Design wise I like the looks of the anti-blowback kit much better than a rubber flap which is why I ask about the kits. Think the kit pieces function similar to how an automotive fan shroud works.