Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

3112 trans problem, help!

Brettw
Upon close inspection of my 3112v to determine why it won't move, the key on the transmission input shaft is sheared. The rear vari-drive pulley is "wallered" out (term I have heard used). Key-way on the input shaft is damaged, otherwise the shaft seems ok. I do have a replacement pulley, that is ever so slightly sloppy. Questions: 1) The inside of the inside half of the pulley, where the key-way is, appears to be a sleeve. If it is a sleeve is it replaceable? 2) What is the best way to repair the input shaft, does it have to come out for machining? Has anyone ever cut in a new keyway in a different location? 3) Is there supposed to be a bit of play in the pulley assembly / shaft for the vari-drive to work? And if so does that mean all of the torque from the engine is carried by that one small key? 4) Lastly, the input shaft makes almost one complete revolution before the rotation is transferred to the axle. This seems like a lot of play in the trans gears, no? Thanks in advance guys!

ReedS
Does the axle tube turn? If so the problem lies within the diff area. I have yet to run into a really broken transmission, I've had one or two stuck between gears but no stripped or broken gears inside the trans (yet)! If the problem is in the diff there are a couple of possibilities where things have gone wrong. The first item to look at is the right hand hub, either the gear is stripped or the roll pins have sheared. Good luck, let us know what you find!