Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest Find – Moving from Orange to Blue

PhanDad

A Craigslist find packed for the trip home:

What’s in there you ask?

It’s been a worker tractor. It has lots of nicks, scratches, and a few dents. Which means when I add some to it, I won’t feel so bad. The tractor has 675 hours on it, however a new Kohler Command CH18S was installed in June 2008:

But (for me, there always seems to be a “but” on a tractor deal) the engine installation was a hack job:

None of the dash mounted electrical controls work. You start the engine with the key switch on the engine shroud (visible in the above pic). But it does have a rear lift:

PO had an old Landlord that last 30+ years, then he bought this tractor. Tiller was from the Landlord. It’s the only part of the load I’ll be selling. The plan is to let the tractor sit for winter and in the spring, see if I can’t do a better install of the CH18. Fix the hood, get the dash electrics working, and probably mount an older style seat. You sit way too high with the new style seat.

Makes you wonder what is going through someones head when they decide to destroy perfectly good hood like that. Some of these hack jobs are amazing. I think you can get that muffler through Small Engine Warehouse.

A hack job indeed. Some folks shouldn't be allowed to touch tools. :( Will be a fine tractor once you have it fixed to suit yourself. Plus the Command OHV 18 should last a long time. Agree regarding the high seats. They don't feel nearly as secure as the lower seats do. Congratulations,

When you get ready to dig into it, I'd call Al Eden, he has the muffler that exits the bottom in his command kit, then you could route the exhaust more properly. It would be awesome to make a chrome pipe like they originally came with.

Carl, I have the original chrome exhaust extension, you can see it in the second pic, laying near the right front tire. My plan is to make it active again. Some in the household say I'm reverting back to earlier times. They say the fancy blue tractor replaces this:

?? Sorry for poor pic quality, it's a scanned image of a faded photo taken right after the car was redone in the mid '70's. It went from the stock dark blue metallic paint to I think Lincoln Town Car dark blue metallic with powder blue color changing striping.

Some people should not be allowed to own any tool that cuts metal. (Some in the household say I'm reverting back to earlier times. They say the fancy blue tractor replaces this:} I like the blue tractor,but I would take the car with any color paint.:D

Sweet! I'm holding out for one of those to come up around here. Sans the Kohlertoilet, I like them. I have Vanguard V twin that would happily replace the Kohler. ^ Excellent score!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Nice tractor, the hood can be fixed, nice to have a tractor with chrome wheels:) What year is the charger '69 or '70?
Bet its a 69 dose not look like it has the chrome nose.

Hmmm, seems this post has unearthed some Charger interest. Yes, the Charger was a '69, an R/T with 440 CI engine and 4 speed. Got it when I graduated from college in April of '69. Ordered it without power anything. Wanted maximum HP to the wheels. It was a bear to steer without power steering. And it didn't stop too well with manual brakes either. I don't have any other digital pics of the car. I know somewhere there must be pics of the car, but I don't know where. The Charger took me to Houston, Texas for the summer of '70. The speed limit on the Interstates back then was a posted 70 mph, but most folks drove 80 mph or better, especially down south. I could almost watch the gas gauge go down cruising down the interstate. Got about 11 to 12 miles/gallon at that speed with the stock engine; the engine was revving pretty good. But in Texas, hi test gas was 26.9 cents/gallon in 1970, so price wasn't an issue, but the relatively small gas tank was. a Houston summer wasn't a good place for the car: black vinyl interior and no air conditioning. Only place I've been where roaring down the road at 70+ mph with all the windows open you still sweated like there was no tomorrow. The gas mileage got worse after putting in domed pistons and a cam at the same time it was painted. When I sold the car in the early 80's, it would barely run on unleaded high test pump gas. Up until the time regular leaded gas became unavailable, you could mix regular leaded with unleaded high test and wind up with a high octane fuel. So in the 80's I burned a mixture of 100 octane aviation fuel and high test unleaded pump gas. That was cheaper than racing gas or buying lead additive, if you could find it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Austin
    • Tom45
    • maxwood
    • PhanDad
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts