Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front and Rear Weights ???

Corncountytractors

What is the use or purpose of the rear stinger weight. And the front counter weight on the B-10 or Landlord 101 type tractors. I know there is a reason for them or they wouldn't have made them. Hope this is not too ignorant of a question. Thanks, BOB

They act as counter weights, the rear counters the weight of snow blower or any other front mounted equipment. The front counters tiller,or rear mounted equipment.

I use the front counterweight with my 1 bottom plow, it makes it much easier to lift and also helps with steering because it keeps the front wheels from lifting off the ground. It can also be pinned on so it is stationary.

I have a real counter weight that just rides in the rear hitch lift. But, when I put it there and then use my front blade It seems to just add weight, I have to raise both the weight and the blade?? Dan

quote:
Originally posted by IronPony
I have a real counter weight that just rides in the rear hitch lift. But, when I put it there and then use my front blade It seems to just add weight, I have to raise both the weight and the blade?? Dan
On the RBTs, the rear stinger doesn't act as a counterweight UNLESS you've changed the way the lift cable attaches to the rockshaft (ala the kit for the 38" HD tiller) or modified the rockshaft like Rod and others have done... On the FDT's the front weight or rear stinger (with or without addition donut weights) counterbalances the weight of the attachment on the other end of the tractor. I sometimes use two donuts plus an additional 15 lb weight between them to offset the weight of the 42" snowblower. With that counterweight setup, you can EASILY lift the heavy snowblower with your left hand. I wish you could put donuts on the front weight, but you can't, you'd have to weld weight on or something...