Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mwells

5000 watt generator experts please!!

mwells
Are the 5000 watt generators just D/C or are they A/C? The literature here on the sight said it is A/C, but they call it an alternator. Mine is D/C. So is it a generator instead of an alternator then? Thanks!

PhanDad
My mfg #1690558 is called an "Alternator w/Bracket" by Simplicity. But if you look at the parts list, repair parts for the "alternator" are sourced from GENERAC and you give them the "generator ID number on the alternator". So it's a ??? Mine only has A/C output. Two 120V outlets and one 240V outlet.

mwells
Mine has the 2 120 outlets and 1 240 outlet, but it says D/C on the plate. Mines an Allis-Chalmers. Mabey it was optional which way you ordered it? I can't run a flouresent light on mine. Is it possible to convert one over to A/C?

Dark
I don't have any publication about your particular Gen but I can Tell you that its all about the Diodes. The primary application of rectifiers is to derive DC power from an AC supply. Virtually all electronic devices require DC, so rectifiers find uses inside the power supplies of virtually all electronic equipment. Converting DC power from one voltage to another is much more complicated. One method of DC-to-DC conversion first converts power to AC (using a device called an inverter), then use a transformer to change the voltage, and finally rectifies power back to DC. your particular Gen DC,
quote:
Are the 5000 watt generators just D/C or are they A/C? The literature here on the sight said it is A/C, but they call it an alternator. Mine is D/C. So is it a generator instead of an alternator then? Thanks!
has a generator that produces DC currant and sends the power through an inverter to make AC power. Fluorescent Lighting has a very high start up power usage so trying to start say a building with many would be almost impossible with this small Gen but it may light a few at a time giving each set time to start before starting the next set.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
"Bob" the plethora of information... How the heck did you know that?
I was an application dude in my former life and Diesel powered gen sets was part of it. Among other things, I had to go the the job site and assist in their commissioning. This one was powered by a 16 cyl 3000 HP engine.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/16v4000.JPG[/img]

mwells
OK, finally had some time tonight to do some checking, and it is an a/c current. It says alternator on the decal, and It also says dc voltage and dc amps, but nothing is filled out behind it. I guess that kinda threw me for a loop. One more question though, why won't it run a small fluorescent trouble light? Thanks for the help and information!

BLT
How fast is is spinning? It should be turning about 3850 RPM with out any load, and under load it should settle down to 3450-3600 RPM which equates to 55-60 Hz or cycles. That should be good for fluorescent lighting. The tag on the generator should say 3600RPM. Garden tractor engines have lousy governing when it comes to running generators. You almost need a digital tach to read shaft speed to get close to precise output frequency wise..

UCD
It might need to be excited to produce power. It is on the same principle as polarizing a DC generator. There are a couple of posts here on how to do this

mwells
Its running 3600 under load, I wonder if my florescent light has some kind of ballast in it to protect the light from lows and spikes in the voltage?? Mabey the altinator isn't a steady enough power source for it? It runs everything else I've pluged into it just fine. Heaters, motors, incandecent lights, etc. Thanks

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by mwells
Its running 3600 under load, I wonder if my florescent light has some kind of ballast in it to protect the light from lows and spikes in the voltage?? Mabey the altinator isn't a steady enough power source for it? It runs everything else I've pluged into it just fine. Heaters, motors, incandecent lights, etc. Thanks
Once you get up to rated RPM, the voltage is to remain steady except where you have a big motor start where the voltage and frequency will both be dragged down for a bit and then recover as the motor accelerates. All fluorescent lights have some sort of ballast I believe, even the small screw in ones now used for household lighting. You might try another or similar unit if you have one to see if that works. Oh Erik the oil pan only hold 55 gallons and I think Hoffa was bigger then that.:o)

crankyyankee
You should check voltage with a meter and make sure it is within range to power what you plug into it.. its usually i think the voltage rating plus or minus 5% is the range you can run..