Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

daveb

help I know it has been talked about but could not find it. My 720 starter is acting up. took motor out and starter off would work on bench then it would turn real slow . i could not get the sol. to pull in when i took it off. any info will be helpfull thanks Dave

Will it work if you jump across the main 12DC+ post to the solinoid post? If not then you have a bad solinoid. If it works then you likely have a bad safety switch, worn pto switch, or weak/old wiring. The fix is to ad a 40amp relay to the wiring harness to provide proper voltage to the solinoid.

I took the starter off and tore everything apart and cleaned it even the solenoid . now the starter works and it will start after i replaced the ign. switch too which i changed last summer . But now it will only start if i put gas in the carb, i can move the tractor in the yard but if i shut it off it wont run . What do i need to do to put an electric fuel pump on ? thanks Dave

Well, it's a fuel related issue if you poor gas into the carb to start it. Question is does it continue to run? Does it run like it should until you shut it off? Is it only a starting problem? First off is your choke being brought to a full on position? If not, readjust and try it. If it is then pouring gas into it may start it but if it's starving for fuel I dought it runs well. Check to see if you have a good pulse of fuel going to the carb from the pump. If so you have trash in the carb. If not, then yes, you'll need to replace the pump with a new one or go to an electric pump.

thanks Dave it would run fine after i would get it started . Looked closer and when i hooked everything back up I put choke cable in wrong hole so it wasnt shutting the whole way. any suggestions on how to hold the throttle cable tight i put a new screw in it and it still slides through the clamp. thanks again for all the help you guys are great

Most throttle clamps have a de-tent built into the P style clamp that catches a groove in the cable snugly to help lock the cable from lateral movement. It could be that this de-tent is worn or flattened out. You might try a small punch to return this de-tent or try adding a piece of gasket material wrapped around the cable inside the clamp to ad some friction to the clamping surface of the P clamp.