Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
downtownac

Mounting a sickle bar on 7116

downtownac
A gentleman recently purchased a sickle bar from me off a b112. His intentions are to install it on a 7116. Does anyone know if this is possible? He has not picked it up yet and will be driving 4hr. one way.

Ronald Hribar
i'm no expert, but think you have to have a special type to work on a 7100 series. I think it will run too fast or the motor will not run fast enough for Hydrostatic

Chris727
I think the sickles for the 7100's had some sort of "planetary" system, I know they are different but modifications may be possible.

MikeES
The sickle mowers from the FDT are made for a belt drive from the small pulley in the center mounted swing arm, driving to a pair of idler pulleys turning the belt to a vertical driven pulley on the sickle bar. The 7100 is a cone clutch and the drive comes from the right and a larger drive pulley. I can't imagine how to get the belt drive from the cone clutch to line up with the pulleys on the sickle bar drive.

HubbardRA
The PTO pulley on the cone clutch of a RBT runs about three times the speed of the output pulley on the older belt drive PTOs. The later model sicklebar mowers have a planetary gearbox to slow down the sicklebar. If someone wants to build their own setup like Biggie Rat did, then they will need to build a speed reduction unit to slow the speed down. If the sicklebar is running too fast, it will break the bar nearly instantly.