Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

18 hp briggs

JJ MARSHALL

i have a 18 hp B&S that i can't get started i have replaced the coil and the key and spark plug the new coil will light up a test light but will not travel through the spark plug.. the test light is 1 that plug on to the spark plug and the other end plug into the coil if i unplug the end from the spark plug and ground it to the engine that is when it will light the test light. if i remove the spark plug and plug it up on to the end and ground it it will not light the light. the fire will not past through the plug. this is a single cyl engine with vertical shaft. have also a adjusted the valves. has anyone ran into this before ? THANKS JJ

I actually went back to Champion plugs after buying a Prestolite and having it last only a week. I wouldn't automatically assume the new plug is good.

thanks everyone i have put 2 new plugs in it and also 1 used 1 that i know was good. i have tried everything i can think of. the spark is there but it will not go through the plugs. JJ all were champion plugs

quote:
Originally posted by UCD It wouldn't be the first time it has happened a new plug being bad especially one brand in particular. Try another new plug.
quote:
Originally posted by JJ MARSHALL
thanks everyone i have put 2 new plugs in it and also 1 used 1 that i know was good. i have tried everything i can think of. the spark is there but it will not go through the plugs. JJ all were champion plugs
BINGO If it is a weak spark try holding the plug wire about ¼' from the plug head this will cause a more intense spark at the plug electrode and it should fire indicating one of two things. 1)A bad plug 2) A weak spark (points, condenser, coil, ignition module, High resistance plug wire.)