Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

solenoid help

peterinbrooklyn

cool....its weird...it was working just fine the 3 days ago...we then did the engine swap 2 days ago and we had to jump the solenoid to get it to fire

When you say you jumped it are you bypassing the solenoid to get the starter to turn over or are you jumping 12v on the solenoid to get it to engage? Also, when you did the swap did you install the solenoid from the B212 into the Squire 9? The Squire 9 uses the old oush button style solenoid. The Squire 9 key is just to ground out the coil and the push button solenoid is what sends 12v to the starter. The ignition key on the b212 sends 12v to the solenoid to engage the 12v to the starter. You don't need the solenoid from the B212 if you use the original solenoid from the Squire 9. Tom

hhhmmm I think I need a picture of what you mean....the squire only had the voltage regulator in it...what does the solenoid look like on the squire 9?

I meant I do still have the push start button...I just jumped the 2 post and turned the key to on and pushed the button and it fired up

Here is the manual. Look at the wiring diagram. [url]http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8cuI0rE3CG.5kbp796Dq[/url] Tom

ha...just found that on sepw.com...it looks like I can just take the 3 prong solenoid out and run the wires to the push start instead! Thanks for all the help

Start button starters are so much simpler to wire in my opinion. The crossover for your tractor is 990314 if you wanted to use a simplicity exact manual, which has a diagram also. I have the simplicity version and my dad has the 2210 solenoid version. He remarks all the time that the button is easier to use with gloves in winter. Good find on that Squire btw.sm01