Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp troubles, your ideas?

hotwire

I went out to mow last week, tractor was fine on the last usage, and after i let it warm up (with no troubles)i went to move it. I'd move down hill about 2 feet and it would stall. hard restart, then it would idle fine, tach up fine, but again, moved downhill 2' and it died. Almost seemed to me that it was fuel related (full tank). i grabbed the fuel line and moved it up and down, and yes, this made the tractor run rough, then stall. I pulled the fuel filter, cleaned it up, put it back on, and didnt have the stalling reaction when i moved the line.....so it was a dirty filter.....(thats what i thought) i mowed for 15 - 20 minutes no problem, then, nosed it down into the front side ditch and it sputtered and spit and was going to die, until i disengaged the pto cluth. without the pto engaged, it will run and tach ok, but as soon as i engage the pto she sounds real bad and wants to die. I have read the articles on how to adjust the governor, but it seems to me something else is wrong. An ideas? thanks guys.

Check for water in the float bowl. Could come from condensation in the fuel tank.Try adding some gasline antifreee [alcohol] to absorb any moisture in tank. Good luck on repair.

Your float level may not be right. 15 mins is usualy as long as it takes to drain a stoggy float. Insufficient rpm under load is lacking fuel supply. Die when tipped could also be from a poorly sealing float/needle or too high a level. When it tips and sputters, is there black smoke or no smoke?