Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Suggestions on which engine?

OrangeMetalGuy

For my 2nd large frame (7016H/716H) I am having trouble deciding which engine to put in it. Choices are a new Briggs Vanguard (looking at $1200+), also one of the vendors listed here has a Kohler K321 for around $250, and there's this on Craigslist: [url]http://york.craigslist.org/grd/1480123592.html[/url] I like the Vanguard option because it's new and lighter and uses less gas. On the other hand, $1200 is a lot for a motor for a tractor that's just going to be for short hops and possibly a show or two each year. If I pick up a used Briggs or Kohler what would I expect to pay someone to rebuild it? Once I drop a motor in this baby I want it to run for a good long time. I welcome your thoughts!

Which tractor is it that you want to re-engine? In the Simplicity the Briggs will drop right in, wireing and all. If you have a Allis, you will need to change out the switch etc. $200 without starter generator and carb? If you do not already have those in good shape, add that to the price. I have had resonable luck in used engines, try to hear it run, before he strips off the other not included parts. Check compresssion, and the oil. Look for leaks or lots of dirt in the cooling fins etc. Just overall signs of maintanece. My two or three cents.

If you go with the Vangaurd this guy can tell you anything you need to know. He put a 16hp Vanguard in our John Deere 210 in 1995 and its been flawless. Still mowing grass and blowing snow. http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/Engines.htm

I have found that comparably the two engines are as unique as a Chevy or a Ford the Chevy (cheap parts and a lot of them available)are like the Briggs, Cost effective and not too pricey to rebuild. Whereas the Kohlers are like the Ford (parts cost a bit more are still available but not as many of the aftermarket solutions). Both are dependable but one is more dealer orientated (Kohler) It's not really a choice IMO of what motor but the choice of parts availability in the long run.

You mentioned that you would take it to a few shows every year: I would keep it original and not repower it with the vanguard. I have nothing against the vanguard I own two of them and about 6 kohler K's.:)