Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaf Collector Box

gew59

I recently purchased a vacuum collector from a member (thanks Joel) and was trying to determine what type of leaf collection box I should buy. The problem is that I am out of storage room. So, I used some plywood and screen and made my own. It can be broken down and does not take much room for storage. It uses my existing trailer with straps to hold it to the trailer. Hopefully no one else has a storage problem like me, as it really makes it difficult when I find more good stuff. Here are some pics:

The original idea was to use a Rubbermaid brute can (55 gal or 44 gal) and strap it to the trailer using the can’s handles and bungee cords to keep the lid on. Before I spent the money, I tested it with an old can. Initially, one side of the lid had venting and the other had the hole were the hose would go. The vacuum collector moves so much air that the lid would not stay seated no matter how tight the bungees were. I then cut the other side of the lid for additional ventilation and cut a hole in the can for the hose, but the same occurred and still, the lid would not stay seated. Glad I tried it before I spent the money on a brute can (they are expensive). My neighbor now wants me to use it as a raccoon trap. I had a lot of fun with this project.

Your welcome....:D The wife and I enjoyed our little get-a-way trip to the east side to make the exchange. As expected.... The money never made it home.... wah I like the set-up, looks like it should work just fine. -Joel

I'm working on a collection box similar to yours. Is that 6" corrugated tile that your using for the hose and if so do you have any problems with it clogging? Also does anyone know if Simplicity makes a deck housing collector for the 50" deck?

I bought the hose from a place that sells exmarks and john deeres (Weingartz in Michigan). The hose is 6" and cost $11.99/ft. I would imagine it is the same type that is used on trac vacs. I have left the hose long because I want to be 100% positive that this is my final configuration (this hose cost too much to make a mistake in length).

Nice job. I like how it dumps. I deliver mine to a non-dumping trailer that measures about 4'x5'x3' and it can be a job digging it out if I really pack it in! I also use a trash can with a small mesh cage added to the top of it (about 16" tall) which works OK for light work.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruker
I'm working on a collection box similar to yours. Is that 6" corrugated tile that your using for the hose and if so do you have any problems with it clogging? Also does anyone know if Simplicity makes a deck housing collector for the 50" deck?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Trac-Vac-Vacuum-Boot-for-Simplicity-Allis-Chalmers_W0QQitemZ290376204149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439bc53f75