Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

BGB advice needed

midnightpumpkin
With the help of several members, I got the PTO issues resolved on the B-210 and ran around the yard with the mower deck. The tractor then started making bad bad noises from the BGB. I removed the rear cover and found ground up gears. I have a BGB from another FDT, not a variable speed, but this BGB has nice clean gears and good bearings. My plan is to move the driven shaft from the B-210 to the donor BGB box. I don't intend to touch the input shaft on the donor BGB as I see nothing wrong with it. Now for my question --- should I replace the seals in the donor BGB even though I see no evidence they were leaking? I know how much trouble it is to back half the tractor to change out the BGB, but I am still inclined to just change the drive shaft and leave the original seals in place. What do you all think? BTW, now I know where the left over shims go, from when we rebuilt the tractor, live and learn! Thanks John U

dave45056
Yes. 1 of them is expensive, though. But there will never be a better time to replace them. Besides, you can easily damage a seal when you are taking apart then re-assembling the gearbox.

rsnik
I bought a real nice replacement BGB for my 2010. The oil gets drained out for shipping, so it had no oil in it when I got it. I refilled it with oil and spun the shafts and looked for signs of leaks every so often until it was time to install it and decided the seals were as good as they looked and that I did not need to replace the oil seals. After installing the BGB and getting the tractor back on it's feet the first thing I noticed was the left side (looking forward) seal leaking real bad. After that I will always replace the oil seals on a donor BGB.