Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big 10 Exhaust

kpandrews

My Big 10 (serial number 042801) exhaust pipe glows red when I run the tractor. Is this normal? The pipe and muffler is rusty. I'd like to replace the parts. How do I get the pipe out of the engine block without damaging the threads on the block? Can anyone recommend a quieter muffler?

The exhaust gets pretty hot so you can expect a little glow, as for a quite muffler I haven't found one yet. I use the ones that are about 4inches across maybe a little louder then stock but a whole lot cheaper. My tractors are all workers,if I have to feed them they have to work for it. The pipe going into your Eng block is a different problem, sometimes they screw right out,and sometimes not. If you have accesses to a 1 inch pipe tap it would save a lot of work, if not you can take a 1 inch pipe nipple and file some groves across the threads (Ifile about 5 or 6 )you can use that to clean the carbon out of the thread in your eng. Hope this helps.

Excessive red glow indicates a lean mixture. Try richening the main jet just a little, this will help. Some light glow is expected if your really working the engine hard. Remember, a slightly richer mixture cools the engines combustion chamber and the exhaust valve. The exhaust valve runs at a higher temp than the muffler so it's working at near cheery red temps like this. It will fail eventually.