Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

707 broadmoor

I bought a 707 this week for $50.00. I popped a new batery in it and nothing happened. I think the starer/generator is shot. The motor needs a once over. I pulled the head and the cylinder looks good but the valves are really carboned up . I have a buddy who can rebuild it, or should I just get a new 8hp new briggs with electic start. I don't know if I need a new starter/gen , voltage reg, yada yada yada what it will add up to and how reliable it will be. i would like to keep it original if possible as it is a nice tractor but dont want to throw time and money , and more time into it if a new motor makes sense. Your thoughts!!!!!

Yeoman627
I would check the 'obvious' ... fuses, saftey switches, etc ... Do you hear the solenoid engage ? Are you getting 12V to the starter ? Etc ... As far as replacing the engine, I would assess the one you have and go from there. You have many options. If cost is no object, and you don't care about authenticity, you can get a new B&S 8HP for $300 and change (complete with electric starter and alternator) Good Luck Tom K