Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
brad52

9020 Tiller Repair

brad52
i'm looking for more info on repairing a tiller i just got. i have the owner manual and parts manual and it looks like i may need 2 very expensive parts (#172536 flange bearings are over $100 each from simplicity). i'm attaching a few pics to give an idea of what i'm talking about. are these parts bad? the tiller shaft sways from side to side about 1/2". what keeps the shaft from drifting from side to side? is there a repair manual for this tiller(#1600199)? if i need these parts, are there common bearings that can be pressed out and replaced?, and/or is this part available from a bearing house for a better price? thanks in advance.

D-17_Dave
I've never had one of these apart, but, your parts manual I Think should show you what it's made of. If it is a flange mount bearing then you should be able to get something similar at any bearing supply and these bearings use the locking collar that prevents the side motion. Maybe JP has seen this and will chime in.I know he's rebuilt several tillers.

JP
I think it's held in by the allen(?) screws on the big sprocket in the gear case. Usually the sprocket is what moves freely when the screws loosen & bounces off the cover. Had one where the key stock eek'd out (Tech term... LOL) & carved a hole in the cover! I would think a bearing house or TSC would have the bearings a little more reasonable than OEM. :D PS I have a 'parts' tiller if you need anything....

brad52
i think i found the correct replacement flange bearings through that bearings link on the home page. can anyone confirm if this flange bearing would work? http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-1188/1-dsh-1-fdsh-4%22-Three-Bolt-Flange/Detail i'm ready to order it if it's correct. if i subtract correctly, it's about $88 less each than the simplicity part. also does anyone know what the substitue seal# on the gearbox pto driveshaft(simp. #173592) would be at an autoparts store? i'm pretty sure that 2 dimensions are 1" id, 2" od but since i won't pull the old one until i get the replacement i don't know how thick it is. any info is appreciated. thanks. brad