Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro lift doesn't hold in place

MarksA-C

Hello everyone. I'm currently setting up my 101 with the snowblower and right now the hydro lift is giving me issues. It can't take a load. It will lift the snowblower but it droops back down after a few seconds. What is the problem and how do I fix it? If it is in need of a rebuild then I guess I'll have to find a way to make it work for the winter. Mark-

It sounds like you have a leak somewhere, most likely the o-rings inside the cylinder, I have one that behaves the same way, if thats the problem then there isn't any temporaray fix that I'm aware of.

my lift cylinder was the culprit in mine also...once i got it out the first oring one the cylinder was a square cut o ring and it came out in pieces...once i replaced it and all the other while i was at it, it worked fine...good lucksm00

i too struggled finding the square cut o-ring...i finally had to suck it up and call the local john deere shop and they had one in stock...it was closest for me and the only place that had one handy...i bought 2 so if i ever need another one i will have it....i hate buying anything green or a biproduct of it....the rest of the orings i bought a 432 piece kit of hydraulic orings off of ebay for 16 bux shipped...cheapest i could find anywhere...

I don't think they are square they just look that way after years of being in there ,I may be wrong . I used a round one and it works fine and I have done this in several tractors with the hydro-lift good luck

i initially used a round one and it worked a little better but not up to specs...the one on the end is indeed a "square cut" oring...if i can find the link on this site i will post it...it has all of the orings you are going to need and indeed lists the one on the end as a "square cut"...i tried the easy way out and use a round one since i was replacing all the other ones and it still didn't operate correctly...i took it back out and put in the squares one and it works great....hope this helps so u don't have to do it twice like me...that is assuming it is the cylinder and not the pump...but you can test the cylinder to see if it is the cylinder or not...good luck!!!!

Shaun - Can you tell us the JD part number of the sqare o-ring? I suspect that there are many of us with cylinders that leak down. While I have not seen a lot of hydro lifts, every one that I have ever seen has this problem! Thanks - Tom

Right now I am going to be running a quick-fix with some weight in the back to help hold the snowblower up. Snow is in the forecast and I can't get the part in time.

quote:
Originally posted by MarksA-C
Right now I am going to be running a quick-fix with some weight in the back to help hold the snowblower up. Snow is in the forecast and I can't get the part in time.
just do it mark. wont take long and you'll be much happier with a good working lift. i went to a place that makes o-rings and they hooked me up cheap. i used the list in daddycats post.

i have looked all over for that invoice with the part number on it and of course cant find it...i also used daddycats sizes and measurements for all of mine...that should get u through it....good luck!!!