Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RandySm

Large frame/ Small frame

RandySm
I see several references to large frame and small frame tractors in these discussion boards. Just like to know exactly what this reference is really referring to. I have a (728)(AC-B1)(2010) and a (2012) I think as the tag is missing on a couple of them. They are all pretty close in size tho. What exactly should I be looking for, or are these basically the same? Thanks

OrangeMetalGuy
A "large frame" is a Simplicity 7000 series or 7100 series, or an Allis 700 series (712, 714, 716), or 900 series.

SimpleTom
Your 728 would be considered a small frame with the center pivot. The others you have are large frame with the front axle pivot. Tom

midnightpumpkin
I have a manual titled "LARGE FRAME GARDEN TRACTORS" from Simplicity. It covers every tractor that had a horizontal shaft engine. John U

HubbardRA
Your B1, 2010, and 2012 are large frame tractors. Your 728 is a small frame. Vertical shaft tractors are small frames. Horizontal shaft tractors are large frames. Sunstars and PowerMax tractors are in classes by themselves.

pungo
Thanks Hubbard,wish I could have read that early on.Took me 6 Months to figure out I had a large frame and close to a year to figure out what a FDT was.:I

HubbardRA
Phil, The only ones I have are large frame tractors. I loved the design of them when I first saw and bought my 61 Wards with a blown engine. I didn't even know what a Simplicity was, but I wanted that tractor. I still have it 25 years later.

RandySm
Thanks to all for the information.sm01 This will definitally make it easier to know what parts I can sell and what parts I will need to keep in the future. It's hard to pass one of these old tractors up when I run across one for sale. My wife will ask ("what are you going to use that for"??) I usually reply ("I don't know, but ain't it purrrty":D)