Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dynodave

717 transmission compatibility?

dynodave
Hello all I now have my Dad's 717 Broadmoor. I also have the snow blower attachment, but the Hi/Lo adaptor was not with it. Therefore he never used the snow blower much since low speed was probably too fast. Will the 3 speed trans of the 727 or 728 bolt into the 717 OK to give me the extra slow speed for snow duty. Any other suggestions? thanks Dave

TomSchmit
Dave - The 3 speed tranny from a 728, 738, 5009 or 5010 is an exact fit ... very simple to make the switch. Even if you have never done it before, it won't take more than an hour - if the pivot comes apart easily! Tom in Milwaukee

KSever
If you do switch to the three speed make sure you use the whole rearend and pivot with the three speed or you will have a little modifying. I remember having to file a very little bit on the mounting bracket that was on my 717 to fit around the pto shaft on the three speed. I still have the same thing to do to my 717 sitting in the barn but it also has the Hi/Lo option on it. Using the 3 speed with a Hi/Lo will give you the speed of a turtle and is great for snowblowing.

Brettw
Welcome Dynodave! This question hardly even counts. These guys will answer it six ways to Sunday, drunk and with their eyes closed. Most of 'em can tell you the specifications for the right rear transmission hector cleave bolt from a spacer widget on an off brand tractor , manufactured by Simplicity for two weeks in 1958, right down to the page number on some original Simplicity shop drawing. It can be down right comical, and even a bit scary sometimes. You gotta give 'em a really impossible question. Then you'll only get a dozen or so accurate replies, and it might even take a few hours.:D Great site, great guys, more help than a three legged partner in a butt kickin' contest.dOd Welcome once again, and if you haven't spent the ten bucks, do so. Best pair of fins you'll ever part with. Trust me on this.;)

Vassal
Welcome aboard Dave! Your only $10 bucks away from the best part....tractor picsdOd Brett - FYI: Simplicity made two versions of the trans hector cleave bolts back in '58, one long, one short. UCD has numbers and drawings around here somewhere if you're interestedsm06

timflury
Welcome Dave.. It's best to use the transaxle from the model numbers Tom Listed. The Serf and Yeoman trannies of the same vintage have different size axle shafts. Good luck!!

dynodave
Guys Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate the info you guys have learned and are willing to give out. I do similar for vintage Norton motorcycles. I hope the little orange "member" patch under my name means you have accepted my paypal credits.sm06 KSever- Thanks for the tid bit on doing the whole pivot back. Hopefully that will save some aggrivation. PTO? do I gain a drive output that was not on the 2 speed? This 717 was my Dad's that he bought new in 1969. He later got the snow blower but not the Hi-Lo adaptor. It probably fed to fast in 1st gear and therefore never used it much. He did make a leaf machine and used it for years and I now have one that I use every fall. The mower deck was totally rotted out and I bought a new one this summer through SEPW.

KSever
quote:
Originally posted by dynodave
Guys PTO? do I gain a drive output that was not on the 2 speed?
You will, the three speed rearend has a output shaft on the left side for uses such as a tiller.

bud119195
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Welcome Dave.. It's best to use the transaxle from the model numbers Tom Listed. The Serf and Yeoman trannies of the same vintage have different size axle shafts
I have switched broadmoors and yeoman trannys and there all the same size axle

dynodave
quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Welcome Dave.. It's best to use the transaxle from the model numbers Tom Listed. The Serf and Yeoman trannies of the same vintage have different size axle shafts
I have switched broadmoors and yeoman trannys and there all the same size axle
Well I guess there are still some technical details to be sorted out I am picking up a 738 (ebay) soon and will, hopefully during Christmas break, be swapping the tranny out if no repairs are needed. I'm really intrerested to see the PTO and how I might make use of it...

TomSchmit
I have seen the Broadmoor-type transmissions with the smaller axle size ... on a Broadmoor 3008, which was the very last model of this tractor that Simplicity made. So I think that it is quite possible that there were also Yeomans and Serfs that had this, but only the very last of the production. If yo find a 728 or 738, you will get the tranny you want. I also have to disagree with Kevin (which is unusual) about using the whole rear end. The 717 and earlier models used a slightly different pivot set-up than the 728 and later models. They will fit together, but the spacing will not be right. I believe it will be best for you to install the 3 speed tranny into the original bracketing from your 717. Tom in Milwaukee Bro

timflury
You can see the different axle sizes in the picture.

The left axle is 7/8" diameter and the right one is 1 3/8". On the 637 that was donated to me, the axles are both 1". As far as rear attachments go, the 30" tiller and 26" revitalizer are the most desired.

Mikewendorf01
On 12/2/2009 at 9:49 AM, TomSchmit said:

Dave - The 3 speed tranny from a 728, 738, 5009 or 5010 is an exact fit ... very simple to make the switch. Even if you have never done it before, it won't take more than an hour - if the pivot comes apart easily! Tom in Milwaukee

Dose anyone know where i can get any of the listed transmissions?