Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kpandrews

Front Axle Mounting Bracket

kpandrews
Does anyone have a slick trick for getting a wrench on the bolt that holds the angle bracket which holds the rear pin on the front axle? The bolt on the left side is missing a nut; the head of this bolt falls below the engine. Is there any way to get to this bolt without having to pull the engine out of the tractor? Thanks for your wisdom.

gwiseman
Kevin i kinda followed you so i'm guessing its a b series/landlord models. yep, bite the bullet and pull the engine. while there, put locktite on those 2 bolts when tightening/replacing.

Chris727
This is a very common problem on FDT's. I have two right now that need disassembly to repair this very problem. One way to fix this is to weld the bolts in place while the engine is out, this way you can always tighten them. I have never done that, on the last one I put loctite and lock whashers on it. On my B-12 I beleive the bolts loosened because of using the 46" HD blade, it put a lot of weight on the front axle, when you turn it puts stress on the axle which pushes against the bracket, eventually loosening the bolts.

Chris727
Another thing you could try is to spin it on with an impact wrench, but if that fails, I suspect you'll have no choice but to remove the engine. If the bolt had been longer you could have threaded it on hand tight, then used a vice grip to hold the exposed stud while you tightened it.

MPH
I use self locking nuts on mine, the all metal ones like auto exhaut manifold nuts, not the nylon end ones. They are thinner then a regular nut and I believe I have gotten them on using a pair of needle nose vise grips, first above the nut, then below it. You can leave the lock washer off to gain a little bolt length

HubbardRA
Use a Dremel tool to grind a slot in the end of the bolt, then use a flat screwdriver to hold the bolt while tightening the nut.

Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Use a Dremel tool to grind a slot in the end of the bolt, then use a flat screwdriver to hold the bolt while tightening the nut.
Thats a great idea!! Thanks Rod!

KSever
I think it's easier to remove the engine than try and fight with that bolt. Only takes about 30 minutes to remove that engine then you can also clean out the engine shroud while your at it. Good time for a good cleaning and maintenance.

kpandrews
Rod, Thanks for the suggesstion. I used my Dremel tool with an EZ-cut metal cutting disk to grind a slot in the bolt. Then I took a very long flat-blade screwdriver to hold the bolt while holding a nut with integral locking feature on the bolt. I was able to tighten the nut! Thanks again! :)

jlasater
I'm not familiar with that tractor, but if the bolt heads are exposed and nothing (like the engine block) sits between them, weld a piece of strap iron across the heads of both bolts, connecting them. That way you're not permanently modifying the tractor and the bolts won't spin.