Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The Prize

Roy

This is the prize. :)

This is the bonus.

Is a 16 hp B & S for my 7018. Ambler found and picked it up for me. Rod and I met him just inside the Maryland-Virginia state line while I was at my daughter's for Thanksgiving and picked it up. Has good compression, with testing the S/G indicates it will charge, has spark, oil is clean looking, and the spark plug looks good. May get a shock but expect it to run good. Oh, after removal of the bonus I didn't find any damaged wires. More later,

It looks like it will clean up nice. Did you attach the angle iron with two holes in it (the part that the shackle is attached to, that is bolted to the head bolts) or was it part of the motor. jh

quote:
A lot of the old B&S motors have those lifting eyes. Makes engine removal alot easier
I'll say. I have lifted 2 of those 16HP engines up to my work bench and it is a bit of a struggle! Is that a come-a-long or a cherry picker? Rick

Zach is correct. The lifting eyes on the head came with the engine. Used a come-a-long that is not designed for both up and down. Goes up easy. Is a PITA to lower. :( My thanks to Ambler for his time and assistance with this engine. Forgot to say this in the original post. :I

I'm not to the point of using the cherry picker to pull the 16HP engine out, I can still manhandle it. But that old B&S lifting tab is sure handy when you want to pull the front of the tractor off the ground to put on stands :) now we have matching engines :) What is the model number of yours? Doug

Dave, Not electronic ignition. Has points and no red stripes on the flywheel. Dan, Thanks. :) Mohrds, When younger I would have just manually lifted the engine but at 67 my body doesn't like that anymore. Plus, with one artificial knee I'm not supposed to lift over 40 pounds although I'm sure I have exceeded that several times. Engine is Model No. 326431 0133-02 7406131 Today I'm in the process of rebuilding the carburetor although upon disassembly it really didn't need it. This engine looks better all the time. :) Thanks all,

quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
I'm not to the point of using the cherry picker to pull the 16HP engine out, I can still manhandle it. Doug
All well and good, but if you plan on still walking tall when you get to be our age.....I suggest the use of a mechanical device for such tasks. Even you big strong guys can injure your back. Nice acquisition Roy sounds like it's going to be good one.

quote:
All well and good, but if you plan on still walking tall when you get to be our age.....I suggest the use of a mechanical device for such tasks. Even you big strong guys can injure your back. Nice acquisition Roy sounds like it's going to be good one.
When I was a carpenter (~1987), I was on a site and the drywall delivery man showed up. The driver helped us unload and carry the drywall up a stairway (to the attic). He carried 4 (THAT'S FOUR) sheets by himself up the flight of stairs sm00sm00. I'm sure he has some compressed discs now. jh

Update: Mouse home removed.

Blower housing cleaned and painted.

Must wait until tomorrow to pick up a carburetor gasket. More later,

Marty, Hadn't planned on painting any more but may break down and do the S/G. Yes, it would look better if the whole engine was painted. Problem is, I hate painting!!!!!! :(

quote:
Originally posted by comet66 All well and good, but if you plan on still walking tall when you get to be our age.....I suggest the use of a mechanical device for such tasks. Even you big strong guys can injure your back.
Once again, this site is filled with great advice. I'll keep that in mind when I'm trying to be a tough guy next. Doug

Roy, I see that you have a non-syncro balance engine there. I have one in my old A/C 917 snow plow rig. It shakes a little, but pulls like a mule. My trusty old B-112 has a 16 syncro engine. It is a little smoother, but does not work any better. That will make you a nice engine. I agree that we old fogies should not be lifting Briggs cast iron engines. Use our brains to save our backs. Jim

Jim, Roy's 16hp does have synchro-balance, though its hard to see. On the 13, 15, and 16hp engines the blalancers are only under the flywheel. The 12 and 14hp engines had balancers on both the flywheel and pto ends.

Ambler, "if I had known it would have been extra for the mouse nest." No, no, should have been less due to extra work to remove the mouse condo. :) :D Mice or not I do think it will be a good engine. Thanks for finding it for me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• a_sannine
    • ShaunE
    • SmilinSam
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts