Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Rob300

9020 Hydrostat Question

Rob300
Has anyone put on a new lip seal p.n. 1652234 on the right side of a hydrostatic transmission without taking the entire thing out of the tractor? It looks like there might be room after I pull off the lever. I know the lip seals go on from the outside and I've got a bad leaker here. Also, where would I get one? Still available? Also need a gasket for the right side of the Onan motor and a heat shield. Help!

OrangeMetalGuy
Since you mention an Onan I suspect you have a PowerMax? Don't have one of those, but on my large-frames I've replaced seals. You can just pull them out gently with a screwdriver or maybe a paint can opener. To install, I found some PVC couplings that were just the right diameter (probably 2", but can't remember for sure) and slid two of 'em onto the axle tube. Then I was able to tap in the seal gently and they slid right in.

D-17_Dave
It can most likely be changed without pulling the hydro, but, I've only seen these bad if the bushing is worn giving the input shaft room to move in a lateral direction causing damage to the seal. First off check to see if you have shaft movement. If it appears OK then try to remove the crank arm and seal. I have a hydro out so if you mess up the # on the seal I should be able to give it to you. I dought you'll get it through Simplicity since it's part of the hydro, but most bearing/seal suppliers should be able to help you out.

Rob300
Hey, thanks you guys! Yes 9020 Power Max. There is good movement on the shaft and it started leaking on a heavy load on the hydrostat. because the shaft/seal area on the hydro is only a few inches at most from the wall of the frame, it may be hard to do. Should I replace the needle bearing or is that on the inside? Rob

RobertE
Do you have the manuals for your tractor? I replaced all the axle seals on my 4041 powermax last summer and it wasn't too hard since I have the manuals. There is a seal inside the hydro on each axle but the hydro doesn't have to be removed to replace them. I have some pictures of the process and I can send you copies of the pages from the manual if you need them.

Rob300
Hey, RobertE pictures would be nice to see what you did. If you could email them I would appreciate it. I do have a book. Also, D-17 Dave, I ordered the seals from a dealer and haven't heard anything. Someone says if I have the number I can match them up. I hate to remove this seal until I have a new one in my hands. The shaft seems ok.

D-17_Dave
RobertE, I think the seals he's refering to are the input shaft seal on the speed control shaft. Not the axle seals. Rob, if it's only a drip I'd feel comfortable running it till the new one arrived.

OrangeMetalGuy
My 716H drips every 2-3 feet. Funny because this weekend with all the snow I plowed my neighbor's driveways on both sides, they probably though someone had lost a limb. But I just fill 'er up when it gets low, I can tell because the hydro gets a little sluggish. Once we get warm weather a new seal will go in. In the meantime, there's a coffee can underneath ;)

Rob300
D-17 Dave, it was a drip and turned into a bad leak! I got seals, washers, and retaining rings today, so I will see how it goes and report back! Thanks all for your help, and thanks wilm169 for the good link. Rob

Rob300
Hi all, On the 9020 Power Max, I was able to replace the seal on the shaft without taking the hydostat out. Because of the limited space, I had to take advantage of the hole in the frame. I had to drill a small hole in the seal and pull it out with a dry wall screw. I put in the new one and put everything back together...very time consuming with no room to work. The shaft was moving back and forth a little, so without taking the hydro apart, my final solution was to drill a hole in line with the shaft and put in a stub bolt just the right length and locking in place with a nut and lock washers on each side, stubbing the bolt end up tight to the end of the shaft, so it cannot move out. Don't know if it will work, but seems to! Thanks all for the suggestions and help. Sorry I did not post back sooner, but just got to it last week. Rob300