Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vari-able drive blues

perry

begining not to like this variable drive on my sim 3012. the tractor was working fine but never had second gear since ive owned it. so i swapped out the rear half with another one. i made all the adjustments and tryed 2 different belts and its just not right. feels like the belt is slipping. it works like it should when going down hill. i can slow it down with the vari-lever and speed it up. but on a slight incline it will slow done when pushing the vari-lever to fast. from a dead stop i can have the vari-lever in high, put it in third, dump the clutch and it will spin the tires and take off. i just dont have any speed out of it or work like the old rear half i swapped out. ? its about ready to get a standard 3spd in it. this will be my snowblowing tractor and maybe lawn mower. i figure the vari-able might be usefull while blowing snow. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/vari002.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/vari001.jpg[/IMG]

and what do they mean in step 4 of the manual. the belt does not even come close the the belt guard. if i move the guard in more it will hit the pulley. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/0000111111aaaaaa003.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/0000111111aaaaaa005.jpg[/IMG]

gues i should do a search before i posted. found alot of good info here - http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=101457&SearchTerms=variable

Glad you got the variable figured out and working, they are sweet blowing snow. Sounds to me like your pulley wasn't coming together tight enough to move the belt to the top of the pulley, thus your question on the gaurd adjustment. Another thing to make sure is working freely is the clutch, if it gets crudy it may not tighten enough on the belt, had that be my problem once.

I was having trouble with my 3314v on hills, it would not respond to the clutch properly. After much adjustment I finaly found the bearings on the large adjustable pulley were bad not allowing the pulley to adjust properly all the time. With a new bearing --- it works good now.

I messed with the vari-drive for our pulling tractor and was able to get more range in the drive. I then adjusted the system to ratio the change more to the driven pulley and less to the drive. Thus keeping more belt surface on the drive pulley. Worked great up to 16hp. But could not keep the belt from slipping on 18hp on up. I really wanted the vari-drive to work with the twin cylinder engine for tractor pulling. With the 16hp we would start in 3rd gear with the vari-lever all the way back. We would let out the clutch and when the engine recovered rpm, and stop spinning the tires (about 20ft down the track) we would shove the vari-lever all the way forward, the tractor would pull the front end up and gain a lot of speed...just like the big super stock NTPA tractors. Really cool :)

i spent hours messing with this thing and i could not get the bent screwdriver trick to work. its still stuck in first gear. i dont have time to fool with it so i put the original rear half/trans back in. it worked fine mowing grass all summer but i could'nt use second gear. i have over 16 tractors and still wondering why ive spent days messing with this thing. i wanted to use this tractor for the snowblower because it has a 15hp and the square fender should make mounting a wheel horse cab easyier than a older FDT. i got my cab yasterday and will be fabricating it on the 3012. if all eles fails ill pull the Allis bigten out with a 16hp and use that for the snowblower. how good does a 10hp tractor work with a snowblower ?.

Perry your not alone in this. I messed with my variable drive for a while and finally decided to part out the tractor. I have no regrets. This Hobby is supposed to be fun, not a headache. I now have the same tractor in the hydro version and love it. If you decide to take another go at it I still have a lot of parts that I would be happy to let go of for very little money. I don't blame you if you decide not to though. Keep smiling, Chris

If your not going to use the B-112why not put the seat pan on the older FTD tractor for snow cab reasons ? And Marty's Right ,The vary drive is great for snow blowing

Forget the vari and go to a hydro rear end. You'll never be sorry using a hydro on anything but the turning plow. Although I've done very little snow blowing, I can say that the OEM 12 in my HB-212 worked pretty hard as did it while mowing. I always use the Hydro to push the engine right up to it's limit on the govn. just before it starts loosing rpm's. I do know the blopwers work best when you keep the auger loaded. Not over but not under. The hydro will let you do this no matter what the snow conditions are. I'd say the 15/16 would burn the belt if not properly tensioned but should do a great job on the blower. BTW, the 15 is the same engine as a 16. Just has the rpm's limited a little.