Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Michiganmobileman

One snowblower, two tractors, same pulley?

Michiganmobileman
Hello to all, I have used my 42inch snowblower on my AC 919 last year for snow removal. Now that it looks like winter is here, I need to get this back on a tractor and have it ready to go. This has run off of the BGB with a single pulley hitch and works great but as I want a backup tractor ready to go if the AC needs a break (or breaks) I am also going to install the front PTO that I got this summer on my 7016H, and use the two pulley hitch I also have so it is ready to mount the blower on. Here is the big question: If I do this, will the driven pulley on the snowblower have to be changed from 7 inch to 5 inch, with the switch or will it work as well either way, either tractor. Asking this because of the size difference between BGB and Front PTO pulleys, could not find a for sure answer in the archives, just difference between FDT and RBT snowblower driven pully sizes. Thanks in advance, Greg

PhanDad
The 7" snowblower driven pulley is good for all RBT's. The 5" snowblower driven pulley is for FDT tractors where the driver pulley (4 1/2" if I remember correctly) is mounted on the engine shaft sticking out from the grill. If you measure the belt wrap on the BGB mounted PTO and compare it to the belt wrap on the mechanical or A/C electric engine mounted front PTOs you'll find them to be about the same. That's why they use the same 7" snowblower driven pulley.

UCD
The 7" driven pulley snowblowers were use on 3300, 3400, 7000 series Simplicity and 700 series Allis Chalmers tractors useing the engine mounted clutch and 2 pulley hitch and 7100 series Simplicity and 900 series Allis Chalmers tractors useing the center PTO and single pulley hitch. The 5" driven pulley snowblowers were used on the 3200 series and older Simplicity and B series Allis chalmers tractors using the 2 pully hitch with built in clutch with a 4½" pulley on the front of the engine

Michiganmobileman
Thanks gentlemen, sounds like I'm good to go. Just need to make sure I have the right belt for the two pulley hitch. Shoveled over two inches of snow off the deck this morning, and the channel in front of the house mostly froze over last night so I think winter has finally started here. Greg

Tom45
I have the same question. I have a blower from a B series that I would like to use on a 7117. I bought a hitch for it. Reading this, I assume I need to change the 5" pulley on the blower to a 7"? I have read that it needs a 146" belt? Is this an A section (1/2" or B section 5/8" wide)? Thanks, Tom