Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

You sucked up WHAT???

timflury

This is related to Kent's post about using your snowblower for the first time. A couple years ago, I managed to catch the dog's cable chain in my little Yard Machines 21" blower. The cable started to wind up in the auger and then the blower started to pull away from the driveway. I held onto the handle and not thinking about releasing the bale while I was chasing the blower across the yard. I finally let go and had about 10' of cable wound up in the auger. It took me about a half hour to remove the cable..sm00 When I was a mechanic in the Air Guard, One of the Hustler 48" blowers came into the shop with a HUGE welcome mat sucked up in the auger. Ok guys,,, your turn.

Best I did was a decent chunk of Oshkosh sidewalk in front of the neighbors house and my sump pump hose in front of mine, both within two days of each other. Years ago I had a gilson 16 hp tractor with blower. My brother was using it and he also picked up a dog's chain. Unfortunately, it was his neighbors, and the dog was attached. Puppy went thru the blower. Neighbor had asked him to blow his driveway and had forgotten he had put the dog out. Brother felt bad but said it went so fast he didn't have time to stop it. The tractor didn't choke out till after the dog was thru and the chain finally tightened up. Steve

I'm not admitting to any of these little setbacks in print for everyone to see. Suffice it to say they happen on an all too regular basis.'nuff said.

The idler pulley on the snowblower hitch, on a return pass. Belt was tight enough without it to continue to blow snow, so I had no clue what was about to happen. Stopped the auger pretty much immediately, and it took me about a half an hour to reverse the auger and get it out. Any neighbor kids within range would have learned a few new words that day......wah

An old frozen rug that was next to the neighbor's garage. Heard a thump, and it came flying out of the chute. Never missed a beat!

last year i ran over a soft bouncy ball a little smaller than a basketball and it shot out of the shoot!!!!!i was like what the heck was that!!!!!!

Caught my neighbors 100 ft. extension cord in my snowthrower while clearing his drive. He had it plugged into his semi truck. Busted the window out of his house when it jerked out of his wall outlet.

I hit a 12lb. sledgehammer that was left out. I saw it pass under the front-end, but did not react quick enough to stop in time. Dad was pissed.... Rick

Well-hidden down spout extension....scared the snot out of me!
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/plugged16.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Plugged26.jpg[/img]

The cord from the battery charger, stopped it just before the charger itself went in. Sump pump extension hose, and the occasional mitten left on the driveway before it snowed. The auger isn't nearly as bad to clean out as the sweeper! Got a peice of clothesline brought down by icecles wrapped up in the sweeper once. OO Now every year I've learned to take the clothesline down. Just did that yesterday. Doug

Hey Tim,:D Thanks for a good laugh!!:D Im pretty sure that is not the same subject as before, Got a good laugh (even out loud, made the dog look) when I noticed the change. Much more appropriate now. I was wondering if we should vote for the worst (best)? of all. Greg

I had a toro walkbehind. I played with the governer to give it a little extra... Well my wife let the dog play with a large white pvc elbow. The first stage moved so violently that the side bearings came out. It was like it was melting...then it yanked the second stage bearing and ground the pulley on the frame. It happened in about 1-2 seconds, seemed like an hour. When all was said and done I had a perfectly running machine, and what amounted to a pile of scrap on the front. Now I laugh, not so much when it happened...

Greg, I just changed the title of the thread to something shorter in length. It used to read, "What was the most unusual thing you sucked up in your snowblower??" Also, Many years ago when I was in the Air Reserve,,, the Deputy Commander of Operations would give a safety briefing at the morning roll call. It was December and the subject was snowblower safety. In January, we all noticed the DCO wearing a glove on his right hand. It turned out that the very person that advocated snowblower safety a month prior was the same one that chopped off the tip of his finger within days after giving his safety talk!! It seems that he didn't shut down the machine and relieve the pressure on the auger before clearing the chute.

Dog chain, 2X4 hunk just long enough to some how wedge itself into blower( don't ask where the board came from, just don't know) and last a wrench that one of the kids used to fix his shovel he was 4 at the time. Hopefully this year is a little different.:D