Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Tractorholic

remove briggs twin 16 hp starter ?

Tractorholic
Recently had my 6216 tuned up for the winter. Suited it up for snow, putting blower and cab on. Tried to start the engine and horrible noise out of starter. Removed the covers to check the starter and noticed the plastic gear wheel had shredded. Never had a problem with this tractor starting until it went in to be "tuned up". Noticed on the bill a charge for an armature magneto. I don't know if this would contribute to starter problem? Need to get this repaired and would prefer to not have to trailer the tractor back to the repair shop. However when I looked to remove the starter it looked like I would need to remove the flywheel to access the bolts to remove the starter. I would really appreciate any info on this. Do I need to remove the flywheel? Can the plastic gear wheel on the top of the starter be removed/replaced with out removing the starter? I have some mechanical skills and repair experience with these 6216's but don't profess to have all the answers. Would appreciate it if anyone could share some of their experience on this issue. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.

Simplicity_728
When I replaced the starter motor on my neighboors tractor (Craftsman 18hp twin) i used a wrench to loosen the bolts, then turned then with my fingers the rest of the way out. The shroud will have to come off also

bud119195
Pain in the butt to do ,But can be done . Take off schroud and loosen bolts and finger turn them out . I've done it a couple times and swore alot but it can be done.

Tractorholic
Thanks Nick and Todd. it is a bit of a tight space to work in but got it out. We'll see what it's like to get it back in. I bet that is where the fun begins.

Dark
the tops of the starter the part that bolts to the block can be interchanged with other Heavy Duty Starters Briggs put Light duty short bodies on allot of 12hp thru 16 HP also the ring gear has two different plastics one for aluminum (16 tooth)and one for steel(14 tooth)aluminum wont last long on a steel ring gear.
[img]/club2/attach/Dark/Briggs starter.jpg[/img]

Tractorholic
I have the one at the bottom of the posted pictures. Brought it to the repair shop this morning and asked if recent work done had anything to do with the gear stripping the way it did. Said it just happens with old age. Old age...now I've got to start worrying about my teeth wearing down too...Man it's always something. The bad news is I'll likely get charged for the repair even though the starter never was an issue before they "tuned" up the tractor. The bad news is they'll have it repaired for the end of the day just in time before we get 4 to 6 inches of the white stuff here. So I can see I've got a fun night ahead. Putting in the starter and putting the cab, blower and chains back on. yahoo.

Dark
hmm old age.... the starter gear is a few bucks and 10 to 15 min of labor time to do it yourself the bushing wearing out is more of a hazard to watch for. I'm glad you are getting it repaired but.. I wouldn't worry to much about the starter ring on the flywheel the plastic will wear out or brake before you wear the ring gear out. I change them once a year before winter just as PM.

Tractorholic
$38 for the starter rebuild. 30 minutes to put the starter back in and reassemble the shrouds. Cab and blower back on and ready for the snow....priceless. Thanks to all for your help and input. Now if I can keep from passing anything but snow through the blower I should be good for the winter. Happy Holidays to all.