Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

8-14" forecast

Simpleton7016

Woohoo! And the kids are old enough to behave by themselves for an hour at a time! The days of watching the snow come down with no one to supervise the kids (while I go out for fun) are over! ....and then there are those members with babies (Dan) - I'll be thinking about you. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! (PS Dan, what do you use for snow removal?)

I have to drive in it so it does not sound like a lot of fun to me. I do have 2 tractors ready with blowers and 1 with a blade. Hope you have fun and keep it there for a while. Oh I forgot I have to come down there on Saturday. Bob

Erik, thats why I bought the truck... No time to clear the drive anymore, just drive thru it, LOL Actually, I havent used a tractor to clean the drive in years, I really enjoy shoveling late at night or early mornings. The drives only 70-80ft by 18 wide. I also use the little Allis Nineteen to push-mow the yard and have used a shovel and hoe to turn the garden. Funny isn't it, with all those tractors, but I love being outside getting natural exercise. I am sure at the next house Ill be using all the tractors for everything. The drive will be over 160ft, the lot will take half a day to cut on a PowerMax, and the garden I hope to get to an acre someday. Dan

Of course the snow has to come, when we have a Birthday party planned for Sunday at our house. I will be blowing the side of the street open (after the plow comes through) and parts of the yard just to park cars. After Sunday I only have to keep the driveway open. I suspect we are not going to get a December warm up to melt this before Christmas.

I'll tell ya what, every year about this time, the local media (SE WI area) makes a HUGE bru-ha-ha about the first "major storm" of the season. What a bunch a hooey. Anyone who is properly seasoned knows that we have had more snow in the past, time and again, (1977-78 for an example)than anything they are "predicting". And 9 times out of 10 they aren't even close. The big "news" of the end of the world as we know it, is nothing more than the new typical media hype / frenzy. They are actually already closing some schools around here. We have had about an inch so far. HELLLLOOOO!!! It is winter! We live in Wisconsin!! Get a clue!! My grandchildren seem destined to become pansies. Anyway, I hope the meteorologists are right for once. I love shooting stars. And tractors with snow blowers. :D

Well, I took a day of vacation,,,, I work second shift... It looks like I'm at about the 12" expected line down here in Muk-town.. Stay tuned for a new thread titled,,,, "The Little Tractor That DID!!"

I saw some cool arcs and sparks today when a transformer blew down the street :O The 610 plowed its first time since the restoration and I tested out the 101. Its going to need some fine tuning. I wish I had my 6518 at home, always did a good job with snow. I hope the rest of the storm goes past west allis, I'll try to be ready for the next one. :D

BORING! I can't believe I lost sleep in anticipation of this. Maybe five or six inches of heavy wet snow. It probably was -9-12 inches, but I am on the "rain-line" of the storm. Too heavy (probably) to plow....at least plowing is fun. Too heavy to engage the impeller and just let 'er rip. No, instead, I get to move at a snails pace and watch it fly only 15 feet or so. Boooooo! Not even any wind to necessitate my new lights! No school cancellation and I probably should go into the office. I hope you guys west and north made out like bandits. And Bob, I think this one's for you.....at least I hope you are not going to make dear peg-leg tackle this one! (you know I love her).

Yep Erik, I ran it thru the slush today too. Excitement for me was charging someone at 11:30 at nite looking in my window with a flashlight. I tore the door open in my undies ready to grab them...turned out to be a police officer to tell me the cable line fell across the road...ahhh, the excitement of the first snowfall!:D

We had a good 10-12" of heavy wet stuff. Boy am I glad I got my new Landlord DLX with the cab. I had no problems blowing the snow, I just had problems with traction, dang stock tires. Well it's my fault for listening to my neighbor and the guy I bought the tractor from when they said the tires won't spin. Boy where they wrong, and the tires are even fluid filled. After 15 minutes of spinning one pass down the driveway, getting stuck in the unplowed road turning around, I finally got it back to the garage and threw on the 4 wheeler tires I have. Never had a problem after that and they aren't even filled. I'll have to get some pictures up when I get a chance. Quick question to the guys with soft cabs, what do you do to keep the front windshield clean? Rain-X?

We only got 6 inches or less. But had a 3 foot snowplow bank on end of driveway. 27 hp Prestige did not even bog down. 4 wheel drive eliminates chains. Good thing I do not have a cab on yet!. Shop garage door openener did not open door up far enough to get tractor with cab out, But I simply ducked my head and made it out okay.

I had a good 8 inches of heavy snow. Had no problem plugging the blower, never happened. I did have traction issues(turfs with chains on blacktop), just trying to push into that heavy stuff was a lot. I did kill it 3 times, once flipping the belt off the tightener pulley. But with the new heater in the gargage, after an hour of blowing, I was able to back into a warm place to let the tractor melt off. sm01 Last winter snow would never melt off the blower when it was put away, no more. :D

Well we got it here near Green Bay,about 16 inches of heavy wet snow with lots of wind.Some banks were over the top of the chute. Made that old 16 hp work its pants off. I have the best luck with chains on the old turf tires. I tryed the 7116 with lug tires and could not move.Still blowing out and looks like we are in for a bad night.Good thing I took off from work can hardly see. Bob

Well, as mentioned before, the snowblowing was boring with a capital "B". The plowing was rather enjoyable as it usually is. This wet stuff was nice cuz' it curled nice and tight like those waves in Hawaii this week. But the real fun was with the Loader. I brought that puppy out to build the kids a fort before the deep freeze sets in tonight. Only took about 45 minutes. If I had all day, I could have made giant sized bricks out of the bucket and stacked them into one heck of an igloo....but alas, I din't really have time. Still, this little fort here should last into May. It is actually about 5 feet high and the kids will be enthralled when they get home.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Snowfort.jpg[/img]
same tree as here:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/092509Oaktree11.jpg[/img]

we just got 8 - 13in here in iowa and I'm still behind the gun. no chains, weights, or blade. well not even a new drive belt on the old girl still have the 1 bottom plow on the other. boy o boy oh well the wind is blowing at 20-40+ so what ever i would have done out there would just have to be done again so i guess i would have to say save the gas and frost bite.

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
I hope you guys west and north made out like bandits. And Bob, I think this one's for you.....at least I hope you are not going to make dear peg-leg tackle this one! (you know I love her).
Erik, handled it well. You'll notice the sporty two wheeler and the driver in the 'comfort cab'. And oh yes, 'ole peg leg' sends her love also. Be care opening up her Christmas card to you.}:)}:)
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/snow12909.jpg[/img]

Ahh, the side glance of a thousand tiny glass slivers...I know the look well....until I got my cab. C'mon bob, its time to cab that thing! :D:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Well, as mentioned before, the snowblowing was boring with a capital "B". The plowing was rather enjoyable as it usually is. This wet stuff was nice cuz' it curled nice and tight like those waves in Hawaii this week. But the real fun was with the Loader. I brought that puppy out to build the kids a fort before the deep freeze sets in tonight. Only took about 45 minutes. If I had all day, I could have made giant sized bricks out of the bucket and stacked them into one heck of an igloo....but alas, I din't really have time. Still, this little fort here should last into May. It is actually about 5 feet high and the kids will be enthralled when they get home.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Snowfort.jpg[/img]
same tree as here:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/092509Oaktree11.jpg[/img]

I would have built a mound of snow with the blower, but I have Christmas decorations in the front yard where the fort is usually built :(

Ahh, the side glance of a thousand tiny glass slivers...I know the look well....until I got my cab. C'mon bob, its time to cab that thing! :D:D:D