Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

What Did Your Leaf Vac Pick Up This Fall????

LesH
I got all the leaves up this Fall with no problems, vacuumeed up a few more things than I wanted to though-- golf balls, gloves and my cell phone-- cell phone was not hurt at all, but we had a heck of a time finding it in those piles of leaves......... Anybody else pick up anything desides leaves???

timflury
The cell phone wasn't hurt,,,, did you try calling it and digging for the ringtone?? I don't have a leaf vac, but I also found a golf ball under a pine tree:D

Simpleton7016
My neighbor had back surgery and asked if I would suck up his leaves. Within six feet I found his dog cable. It is amazing how tightly 16 ponies can tangle 30 feet of cable. I only wish his dog would have been attached! :) After untangling (cutting), I finished the job and went to unload all the leaves in my leaf corral (for use in composting with grass clippings next summer). My method is to just open the gate and scoop them out with my arms. I forgot about the doggy droppings and ended up with big-nasty all over my arms and shirt. I thought about throwing it down the laundry chute but ended up just tossing it out - fearing the wrath of Idi Amin.

Architectdave
Sucked up a chunk of broken branch. It was bouncing around in the fan housing, sounded like a broken rod on achevy 350. As the unit spun down (so I could remove it) it stopped the fan dead when it jambed tight into the housing, bulging the housing and making it damn near imposible to remove. An hour later and a few sawzall blades and cold chisel it came out. Also sucked up a few rocks, one went thru the new hose I installed between the fan and trailer....sigh....the rest was about 15 cubic yards of shredded leaves.

HubbardRA
My hose kept stopping up between the deck and the vacuum. I finally took the hose loose and found a forked stick wedged crossways in the hose. Pretty good way to clog a hose. It didn't clog last year, now I know why.

Michiganmobileman
About a 3-4inch long chunk from a 1 inch or so thick branch. Was sticking out through the hose just after the blower. Not sure how long it had been there, had to replace the hose early this fall from vac to trailer, after the trailer pin came loose and the old hose turned into a slinky so sometime after that. Left a pretty good hole in the tube, looks like a duct tape patch will cover it next year. Greg

msiebern
Nothing too traumatic this year. Had one instance like Rod of a stick stuck crosswise in the tube to the fan, picked up a few rocks, lots of acorns and hickory nuts, and a bunch of dog doo! I just tilt and dump so no need to handle it. ;) Figured it would add value to the compost anyway. 8D After dumping a few loads I use the front dozer blade to pile them up and push them over the hill to the compost pit at the bottom.